HybridZ

What Tires Do You Run on the Street?

I run Bridgestone RE750's. I have punished them on the dragstrip and on a track day. I couldn't ask for a better tire that can handle both dry and wet.

Since the RE750 is not longer available I was thinking of trying the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup next.

• Administrators

Bang for the buck, I am sold on the Kumho Ecsta MX tires. I’m running the 225 50 ZR 16” on my Z-32. Performance wise they are comparable with the BF-Goodrich g-Force T/A KD, and in the 275/40ZR-17”, approx $100 ea. less expensive.

Straight-line traction is incredible, lateral grip impressive, road noise is quite low, break-away at the limit is forgiving, no surprises when traction limit is exceeded. Wet traction is also very impressive.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+MX

I trawled through tirerack a while back and basically decided on the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec

The reviews are highly positive, sorry I don't have any first hand experience, not getting paid for 7 weeks will do that to ya.

Dave

I just found this link. Since the shipping is free they are a better deal then tire rack :)

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do

S.Drive $142 (Seem like the most conservative of the group)

Kumho MX $ 149 (Sounds like a great value)

Falken RT $154 (Worried about quick wear)

GS-D3 $222 (Worth the money?)

Justin

On the family street/autox car (a 94 Miata) we use the Falkens. The miata is similar enough to the Z to provide a relatively similar comparison. (weight, drivetrain)

They are a wonderful compromise that leans further to the performance side than the longevity side.

We have gone through 3 sets of the rt-215's, which were the predecessor to the 615, and are on our first set of the 615's. The 615's are very similar in their characteristics, but everything about them is a little better (especially heat tolerance)

Great lateral grip, good enough straight line grip for the 105 whp miata.

I don't have any personal experience with the RT series on a higher hp car to gauge straight line grip.

But, back to where they shine- lateral grip for the buck.

Excellent handling characteristics, stiff sidewalls, good wet traction (non shaved, relatively new)

Very progressive and predictable on breakaway, just enough squeal, good feedback.

Longevity is their primary compromise. Those first three sets went in 40k miles of street/frequent (~monthly) autox use with 3 drivers.

They also tend to get hard with a large number of heat cycles. They're still predictable, but peak grip is down a bit.

The 215's had trouble dealing with heat, but the 615's are a massive improvement.

I would recommend them without reservation, assuming your primary focus is grip, but not to the degree that a big buck R compound would provide.

I have used the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and gotten about 30,000 miles out of them. Bear in mind that there were some autocrosses, a drag run or two, some extended high speed runs and then about 4 days at the "Tail of the Dragon". So its pretty safe to say they havent been babied.

I love the Falken RT, have them on my Sentra SE-R and they are great. But if you are looking for good mileage life out of them, look elsewhere.

My 350Z is currently running BFG G-Force KDW-2. Very agressive tread and so far have done well for me. Only time will tell how long they last.

My 350Z is currently running BFG G-Force KDW-2. Very agressive tread and so far have done well for me. Only time will tell how long they last.

The aggressive tread is for wet conditions, not dry traction hence the "W". Not the best tire unless it's driven in the rain alot.

I will only run R comps. V700, RA1 front, drag radials in the rear. I built it for fun not mileage or economy.:burnout:

My dad has a set of Kuhmo Ecsta SPT on his n/a z31, 255/40(?)r17 on 17x9's. They are very forgiving on the breaking point, I took 6th of 33 in the novice class today at an autocross with them, it was my 2nd event ever. I'll probably get a set when I get to that point on my Z.

I run 225/50/16 Falken Azeni 615's all around. I used to have Yokohoma AO32's, and bridgestone RE970 pole positions in 195/60/14. Out of all the Yokohoma probably had the most straightline traction but had extremely stiff sidewalls for the street. Doesn't matter really, they're discontinued. I absolutely adored the RE970's. They had excellent ride quality, response, very descent lateral traction, and wonderful wet traction.

But then the SR20 came and I had to get something sticky, so I went with Azeni's mainly because they are a little over a 100 bucks a tire for some pretty damn good traction. I should have 230-ish rwhp and I can launch from 4k with zero wheelspin. Ride quality is very descent for a tire this sticky, heat resistance is top notch, and they do wear a bit quicker than most tires, but they're cheap and you can't beat the performance from a tire this cheap. I was looking at RE750's and similiar tires but they costed 30-50 bucks more per tire. Plus the Azeni's have a nice thread pattern that sorta shows you mean business. :-D

Does anyone have any experience with Hankook RS 2s? I had a 2 on a set of wheels that I had for a couple months and they seemed to grip pretty well in the wet and dry. I was thinking about getting some 195/60/14 for 68 per wheel plus shipping from citytireonline.com.

Justin, I've had great luck (mind you on two different platforms than the Z) with the Kumho Ecsta MX and also with the Michelin Pilot Sport and Pilot sport cups.

That said, the new Sumitomo HTR III is getting rave reviews and a lot of the porsche crowd are switching to them and reporting them comperable to the Michelin PS2, which is a LOT more expensive.

I had Bridgestone RE750s on my BMW Mroadster and hated them. Worst "performance" tire I've ever owned and wouldn't recommend them at all... Very unpredictable for snap oversteer and hard to drive at the limit.

Mike

If I could get 40k miles out of the Falkens, I'd go that route...

Justin

Man, if we could get 40k out of a set, we'd go that route too, but if you read a bit more carefully......

"Those first three sets went in 40k miles of street/frequent (~monthly) autox use with 3 drivers."

Ouch?

On my MGF VVT convertible, slightly better Pwr/Wgt ratio and better handling than a Miata, I had a set of Nankang directionals, EX601 model, they're a mid-performance passenger car tyre rather than a high performance sports tyre.

On the other hand, they did a good job, I also put them (A different set) on the V3000 Mitsubishi I had as well when it's tyres needed replacing, went from spinning the old tyres (goodyears) on launching to zooming away with a bit of chirping, they're a good compromise between grip, comfort, and noise. over 12,000Km on them on the V3000 when I crashed it, and about 80% wear left in them. I took them off the wreck and stuck them on the D22 navara then :P with the 15" alloys off the Bighorn SUV holding them.

They'd do fine as a DD N/A tyre, but something a bit more aggressive would be a better fit for a turbo or V8 swap.

That said, the new Sumitomo HTR III is getting rave reviews and a lot of the porsche crowd are switching to them and reporting them comperable to the Michelin PS2, which is a LOT more expensive.

Did a track day as an instructor with Speedventures at Buttonwillow a while back. Didn't have time to swap to the track wheels and tires so I just bombed around on my 245/40-18 Sumitomo HTRZ-3s taking students for rides. I passed another instructor driving his Spec944 going through Riverside and thought nothing of it (he pointed me by). Back in the paddock he was dumbfounded that I was on street tires - and really disturbed when I told him they were $120 street tires!