HybridZ

Roller Clutch Pilot Bearing, 70-96 Z/ZX

Careless

Don't go with the bearing. There is no benefit in my opinion and the bushing is way more reliable. The bearing style has a tendency to wear and freeze up. There were threads on this years ago, but good luck finding them now.

I'm with Jon - I looked into this long ago when Nissan Competition still had people you could talk to. They specifically told me that these were intended for racing purposes and needed to be lubricated regularly - as in every few thousand miles. So I guess if you don't mind pulling the trans and clutch every few months, then go for it.

There really isn't much to be gained with the roller bearing, and much more to lose, especially on a street car.

Just to repeat...from personal experience, not hear say....I ran the roller bearing for years with zero issues. A good friend built a L28 at the same time, also with a roller and he is still running his car on and off the track.

Saying this...I dont believe there was any notable advantage. My bud had them laying around the dealership so we used them.

Lets put it this way...by going standard bushing you wont be saying..."I wish I had gone roller" as you would never notice the difference anyway.

ughhhhhhh, this is so hard. some people saying they ran fine, others saying it's intended for race purposes. :confused:

FINNNNNNNEEEE i'll use the solid bushing I have and I'll put the other one in my RB30DE :D

I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly from my Nissan parts days, the roller bearing is a stock part on some of the 300zx models. Not to mention, other car lines use a roller as factory equipment as well.

I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly from my Nissan parts days, the roller bearing is a stock part on some of the 300zx models. Not to mention, other car lines use a roller as factory equipment as well.

I think you're wrong. Some cars use SEALED BEARINGS, like Toyota trucks for instance. Haven't seen a stock bearing that is open like this one. Those Toy bearings go bad fairly regularly too.

Ill second the advice on never useing the white litium grease on anything, like a pilot bearing!

especially roller bearings, the grease you want is BLACK, MOLY grease its designed for high heat and pressure levels, most auto parts stores carry it if you ask for MOLY AXLE GREASE

Lubriplate makes a moly grease used for construction machines and other types of exposed gears and bearings. It is a tacky grease that will not spray out of bearings or off of open gears. It is called No 3000 Heavy Duty Tacky Moly Grease,(part # l0108-098). A large tube costs about $ 3.50 and can be found at any bearing supply house or construction machine supplier. This grease is a black soft grease that is very sticky to itself and whatever it is on.

lubriplate.jpg

http://www.lubriplate.com/pdf/pds/3_21%203000%20Series.pdf

btw heres moly assembly lube

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=5123

Thanks everyone. We'll see what happens when I get the bearing. I'm basically going to flip a coin. best 2 out of 3 wins.

I have a bottle of Heavy Duty Moly Grease, but it doesn't say "Tacky" in it. It is also black and sticky, and feels kinda like velvet, it's not as plastic/shiney feeling as the other grease I've used.

Thanks Grumpster :D