HybridZ

My Little CAD Project

It's been a pretty tough few months for me....Lost my good paying job..had to take a massive pay cut and move across the country.

Benefit is that I have alot more free time.

It seems that it has been discussed on many forums but never achieved..that I know of. But with the help of a whole bunch of reference drawings and photos, I have started to do a reasonably accurate CAD model of the 240z.

Here is a teaser of the first step:

screenom4.th.png

Looks like you found the chassis blueprints from the FSM. I've modeled the 240Z in 3D, but my model is based purely on those chassis blueprints, orthrographic views in the FSM, and eyeballing my own car. I would love to see someone do this in CAD or another program, but use actual measurements from a real car to get it entirely accurate. That'd be very useful.

Looks like you found the chassis blueprints from the FSM. I've modeled the 240Z in 3D, but my model is based purely on those chassis blueprints, orthrographic views in the FSM, and eyeballing my own car. I would love to see someone do this in CAD or another program, but use actual measurements from a real car to get it entirely accurate. That'd be very useful.

I am using the chassis blueprints from the FSM. It gives a lot of the structural hardpoints/datums. My hope is that a reasonable 3D sketch of these can be obtained. The next step is verification of measurements off my own car that don't appear in the FSM and the other reference drawings I have.

Then hopefully stitch all known points together with surfaces and sheet-metal assemblies.

I looked at creating the body work model from the orthographic reference drawings. How did yours turn out? Care to share higher-res/muti-views?

I applaud your efforts. If we had a model with a high degree of precision, then we could expand our knowledge of Z car aerodynamics with CFD testing. Some other HybridZ members are already trying out bits of my model, but I'd probably have to tweak every last panel at least a little bit to make them line up with real world measurements.

There are two High Res views of my model in my CGSociety portfolio: http://renderanything.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Here's a medium res shot of the undercarriage:

underneathhz.jpg

• 2 months later...

I too have been pondering the idea of recreating an accurate Z body in Solidworks. I started doing the same thing with my FSM to recreate the body/ frame mounting points but I no longer have my Z to reference some of the sheetmetal. I think that it may be possible to convert some of the renderings into CAD data. I know I can convert my Solidworks files into 3DSmax using the .stl format but I do not recall if it can be converted the other way. I also do not have 3DSmax installed on my computer any more.

blue72 - what are the file types that maya can be exported as? i wonder if your models can be imported into Solidworks in order to modify into real CAD files with exact measurements...

• 1 month later...

I've found that IGES is the most useful cross-platform, cross-program file format. I'm currently working on finding a way to convert my Polygon mesh to NURBS in a format that won't create too many points when exporting in the IGES format.

AFAIK my version of Maya can export objects into the following formats:

mayaAscii and mayaBinary, move, mentalRay, animExport, FBX, DXF_XBF, OpenFlight, GE2, IGES, aliasWire, OBJ, iv2, RIB, rtg and vrml2

• 4 weeks later...

I too am interested in this project. I've been researching the best way to effectively stiffen my chassis while adding as little excess weight as possible. There's a fair amount of info on it here, but the answer I generally receive is "build Mull's cage" which kind of kills the quick-daily-that-looks-tame image that I'm going for.

If we can get something decent together in a cross-platform format I can run it through my physics testing plugin in Blender, and maybe we can determine the technical "best" chassis modifications possible for the s30. It would also help with designing a killer suspension setup.

Where are we headed with this project? Do we want to make it an open-source model? If so, I'm in all the way.

Hi Blue72,

Can you send me your Alias wire files and / or IGES? I'd prefer the Alias wire files to maintain associativity if you update the unibody model.

I've always wanted to try doing a stress analysis on the engine compartment. There is a long standing debate whether a triangulated strut tower brace is superior to a two-point one. The firewall is not all that stiff, so we want to do an FEA on it to calculate the deflection involved...

Here are some snapshots of a model I made many years ago (I didn't use anything but photos from "Rebuild your Nissan / Datsun OHC engine" book). I think BRAAP already mentioned that I have some intake / exhausts flipped around that I haven't fixed yet. :lol:

Engine_1.png

Engine_2.png

Engine_3.png

Engine_5.png

Thanks, -Hugh

If we keep going with this, can we license it under Creative Commons? I think version 2.0 is my favorite thus far.

Having a complete model of the chassis that's stress-test-able could very well bring the s30 back into the limelight. Recently, I've been seeing a lot of FITs driving around and it saddens me.

• 3 months later...
Guest mavsol22

Are you going to make this CAD file available for others to play with. I have access to CATIA, Solidworks, Inventor, ProE at my office. I would be interested in converting into a few formats.

If not, would you be willing to supply an STL file as I would like to scale it down and print it out on our 3D Printer.

• 3 weeks later...

A cad file would be nice to have, give me something to use to check dimensions. You can use a camera photo as an overlay appropriately sized to compare with the cad drawing. It'll give you an idea of where things are as opposed to where they are supposed to be.