HybridZ

Post your "MacGyver" stories...(doesn't have to be car related)

hughdogz

• 3 years later...

1986....Washington DC......constitution avenue at rush hour.

Car: mazda RX-5 cosmo.

Pulling out of the library of congress, throttle goes to floor...no acceleration.......pull over halfway on crosswalk.

Throttle cable is snapped.

Bummed out.........weedeater is on reclined passenger seat....

Unwind the trimmer line, disconnect old throttle cable with diagonal cutters and attach trimmer line to throttle linkage and route cable from carb over the engine and around the tall oil filler tube for 90 degrees to get it pointed at the hole in the firewall.

Then attach to pedal and drive away just as police shows up.

Two weeks later....same spot.....transistor fired fuel pump no longer works but does pulse a single time per being energized.

Yank off door sill on passenger side, find fuel pump wire, cut and extend it so I end up with two wires with bare ends on passenger seat close to console.

Tape one wire to the seat and tap other wire's bare end to it repeatedly as you drive away.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

I have a lot of histories but i don't remember, and i can't explain very good for my poor English.

But let me try.

I drove across the highway board Mexican side from Cd. Juarez to Palomas, early early morning, when my lights went down, alternator failed i hardly arrived to Palomas and recharge my battery with a little charger in a little garage, for 30 minutes after that i drove to my destiny.

Another, i had a 210 datsun, i drove along the highway suddenly the valve train failed i removed the valve cover and removed half valve train too, later arrived my destiny with 2 cylinders :lol:

Honolulu around 1970. Several of us midshipmen had rented a Datsun 510 to tour the Island. Part way through the day the pin that held the gearshift into the transmission fell out and we could no longer shift. Had everyone finish the popsicles they were eating, took off the boot and forsced several "broken" to length" popcicle sticks in where the pin had been. Held on for the rest of our day. Can't remember if I told the rental agency about it. Probably figured they'd charge me to repair it.

Have 2 of them.

I put a hole in a gas tank back in the 60s. Sealed it up with about 10 cents of “Double Bubble†Bubble Gum. It never leaked after that and sold the car with it still stuck to the bottom of the tank 6 months later.

Broke a fan belt at night going across Northern New Mexico in my Ford Van. Light were going dim and the only gas stations open had replaced the auto parts for Indian Jewelry. I noticed that the Van was not overheating so took the AC belt and put it on the alternator. Drove from Gallup NM to Flagstaff AZ with just the wind turning the water pump. Going through some of the towns the Van would start to get hot but would cool right down on the highway.