HybridZ

3" downpipe started on my S130

hughdogz

Maybe this should get moved into the exhaust section...

Anyway, I'm further along now. It isn't as straight as I hoped for (check out the crooked pics) :?

I tucked it up pretty close to the body and supports (maybe too close :confused:). I was trying to keep it from dropping below the frame rails. I'm down to a half an inch of space between the body and exhaust in some places. I don't know if that is too close or not.

I can't decide if I should finish welding it up, or grind off the tack welds and start over...

Later, -hughdogz

ex_0.JPG

ex_1.JPG

ex_2.JPG

ex_3.JPG

ex_4.JPG

ex_5.JPG

ex_6.JPG

Sometimes, you just get lucky...(I wish welding was as easy as cutting :lol:)

ex_7.JPG

Thats looks great Hugh - beautiful work. I am going to get my exahust done this week, I ordered a Muffler from Burns Stainless and I am going to try and run 3.5". My Downpipe will be 3.0" but then will transition to 3.5" as it runs under the car.

I forgot to order a flex pipe, so thanks for the reminder!

Yasin

Allright. Thanks for the votes of confidence Careless and Yasin. :icon14:

I'm sure it will flow, but I'm wondering how much backpressure that kink is causing me. Plus, I want to get the DP (and wastegate) powder coated. After that point I can't afford to do any rework. :icon55: I'm going to have to put my perfectionist attitude in check, and just finish the job...the cat-back portion going over the rear trailing arm looks equally as daunting (if not more).

Someday, I want to go to a GT-Series turbo (ball-bearing for faster spoolup) and external wastegate (maybe a tubular header purchase will materialize by then too). So I'll end up redoing it again anyway...I think this will meet my immediate goal.

Yasin, you're really going to 3.5", huh? That is going to sound soo beefy!! :icon43: I can't wait to check it out. :-D

kvansic162, no doubt...I never thought it would be so difficult to get a nice, smooth transitioning exhaust going. I think it would be challenging for me to make profit producing parts. My hat's off to the folks who have the ability to offer them. You'd think you'd have to sell at least a few units just to hit the break-even point of the R&D alone.

Does anyone have one of JeffP's "Killer 280ZX 3" exhaust" setups for sale? *grins and shakes head*

Thanks again Guys, Later! -hughdogz

You're right KTM, ceramic coating. I thought it was a form of powercoating...

I'm probably going to go with "cerma-chrome" since the turbine housing is already done that way. I know it is going to "blue" and possibly flake off when I run rich AFR's. I'll just have to be really careful.

Maybe I should get the black "super high heat" ceramic coating instead, but that would't look quite as nice as cermachrome...sheesh, what's a guy to do? :weird:

... what's a guy to do? :weird:

4 words, choose either 2...

JET HOT

or

Exhaust Wrap

I chose both (through the system) Jet Hot for the manifold and turbo hot side, and exhaust wrapped from the turbo to the flange above the rear crossmember. No regrets and no heat transfer to the floor/tunnel/tranny. Can almost hold your hand on the wrapped portion after a good run. I double layered the pipe using 1/8" thick wrap...looks like a wooly mammoth's trunk, but it stays cool on the outside.