HybridZ

Removing broken dipstick tube

This is kind of silly, but I managed to break the dipstick tube clear off at the block.

Anybody got a good way of getting it out? I can remove the oil pan if I have to and go from underneath, but I was hoping somebody had some creative way of removing it.

• Administrators
this is in classifieds????

:lmao::lmao:

Part of me wants to leave it here in the "Cars for Sale" section...

:lmao::lmao:

One technique would be to use a bolt or tap that "just" engages the ID of the sheared off tube. That will allow you to grab the tap/bolt that is now threaded into the tube and pull it out. In using the tap, be aware that metal shavings WILL fall down through the tube...

Yes, you can remove it with a stepped-punch from the oil pan side, but trying a tap in the ID and screwing a bolt in and a tap tap taping from a small slide hammer will also work without having to uncork your gasket on the pan...

As Braap said, 'shavings will get inside the engine' but then again if the engine is cold, you can pack axle grease down inside the tube before you run your tap into it and almost totally preclude that possibility as well...

But if you want to pull the pan....you can...

I had a misguided dodge van owner who brought me a vehicle with just this problem. After hours of messing with it, I finally managed to use a small pick with a hook end to pull the piece out. Lots of cussing and spray penetrant and maybe even a little heat... but it finally came out.

well it was a really stubborn one to come out. At least pulling the oil pan on this z car is a 20 minute job. I tapped from the bottom with no luck. I tried splitting the thing in half, but that got tough once I needed to reach further into the tube. I finaly put an undersized drill bit into it and it came right out. The drill bit thing worked the best with very minimal scoring down the dipstick hole. Of course if the oil pan were still on, you would have a lot of metal in the pan, but with this car I don't even have to drop the exhaust to get the pan off. It's one more benefit of the JTR mounts.

Of course if the oil pan were still on, you would have a lot of metal in the pan...

Not if you pack the tube with axle grease first...

I thought we covered chip retention procedures when using chip producing implements like taps/drills/chisels.:confused:

In a Cylinder, Foamy Shaving Cream works well...can't rightly pack the combustion chamber with grease when you retap the plug threads head-on-engine, now can you?

Sometimes, I wonder...:weird: