HybridZ

For those with engine swapped track day cars...heater vs. seat warmers?

rustrocket

Or anybody who's done an engine swap and really doesnt drive it on the street much...

Does your car have a heater? If so, aftermarket or oem?

I'm looking at options for my tube chassis triumph wagon, and ditched the original heater when i gutted the car.

I've been looking at aftermarket heaters, or seat warmers (one or the other).

What's everybody doing? Is cabin heat even an issue worth worrying about?

I am half way done installing the Vintage Air compact heater (defrost + bottom vent only). My original a/c-heater combo in '76 leaked, a/c didn't work, so I took it all out.

I will post results running the heater when it gets around 40-50F here. The unit is small, there is plenty of space to position it.

I haven't found a need for a heater and I live in Illinois where it gets reasonably cold .... but then agian it's parked for the winter due to salt on the roads. Worst time was a 5 AM 2 1/2 hour drive to a track day when it was in the 50's. Keep the windows up, vents closed, and wear a jacket and it's not too bad.

Cameron

I don't have anything that works in my car and its kinda annoying. I live in Ontario Canada and there are fall days that driving the Z is uncomfortable. I'm going to look into an aftermarket solution of some sort this winter I think.

I have the heater in my car but no controls to run the fan. Most of the time it's fine but when it's raining the windows fog up to the point I can't see anything. The last time this happened I was in Spokane for an autox event where it rained all night following the first day and was still raining when I got back out to the track for the second day. Fired up the Z for a couple test runs to see how the grip was and after 2 minutes couldn't see anything. Needless to say my day was done, so I loaded the car back on the trailer and went home. :( If I'd had working fan controls I could have made some runs, turns out the event was canceled after the morning runs anyway. I normally wouldn't drive the car in the rain but I was already there and the car had sat all night at the track in the rain anyway so I gave it a go.

Wheelman

I have a Flex a Lite Mojave heater. The guys that go hunting and have Jeeps say it is the best aftermarket heater to rettrofit into a Jeep. So, I figured it would work in my car. I also have the plenum to direct warm air to the stock defrost funnels.

It worked real well in a friends Jeep, and thats what convince me to go this route(also I pulled all the stock heater/ac stuff out). I have to decide if I am going to mount the heater under the dash or on top of transmission tunnel. I have the dash out of the car now finishing dash wiring, and the heater/plenum is next on the list to mount --I will get some pics up to you.

I'd be interested in pics as well...Where did you buy the flex a lite unit?

Is it the same as this one?

41RQ8NR3GJL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Flex-a-lite-640-Mojave-Heater/dp/B000CNJBPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1225988449&sr=1-1

With the plenum, it looks like it would only cost $180...not bad... **eyeing amazon gift cards**

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long guys. Here is a picture of the Flex a lite Mojave heater and the plenum. The unit is a pretty solid piece, however the plenum is a overprice piece of plastic. The plenum snaps on to the front of the heater and allow you to funnel hot air to the defrost funnel under the windshield. First, The only problem is the plenum only has a hole on the driver side to attach ducting. Instead of cutting it up (like I normally do !!!!), I will put together a " Y " shape duct to go to the passenger defrost funnel. Second, the feed and return copper water fittings are also on the drivers side, and the feed and return water lines come through the bulk head on the passenger side. My plan will be to remove the stock bulkhead totally, get the hose couplings/reducers and attached to the water hoses in the engine bay. This way if I have a leak it will be the engine bay, and make sure my connection on the heater side is tight. The other option was to flip the heater over, but I now have to come up with a way to attached to the trans tunnel or bottom dash, because there are some extended plastic " C " hooks that can be bolted down. Once I get the chassis/engine wiring done I will follow up on the heater connection in my member project area.

I got mine from Summit with Summit bucks and some gift discounts.

dash_n_heater_pic_2.JPG

good_heater_pic_1.JPG

Good news, the Flex a Lite heater can be flipped over so that the water connections are on the passenger side and maybe attach heater to bottom of dash (fabricate a mount easy stuff !!!). I am still searching for some flexible "Y" shape defroster 2 1/2 inch ducting.

Are you hooking this up directly to the stock Datsun "ducting" that goes to the defroster? I'm looking at this very unit simply for the defrosting abilities (my stock HVAC wouldn't blow on the windshield making for some hairy drives in the rain). If so, how is the output?

Yes- I am connecting the plenum to the stock Datsun ducting, but have to fabricate a " Y " or tee because the plenum only has one duct connection. A friend at work has at in his jeep and it heats just as good my 4-runner. I got it also more for the defrosting capabilities than the heating.