HybridZ

adding turbo to L28 engine

J__

ok ive searched and searched and searched. but prolly missed that 1 thread that tells me exactly wat i need for my situation. if anyone can answer my question or post a link to a previous thread that has already answered my question would be highly appreciated.

all in short, i have a 78 280z L28 N/A engine.

i have no clue what head/block i have so please do tell me if you knw, haha. but all i knw is i want to add a turbo to this stock engine. i would like to knw what parts i would need to make this work...

i plan on running sub 10psi (response and reliability) and megasquirt system. adding a turbo to the stock engine is the cheapest and easiest alternative i can imagine to getting a bit more power (other options, engine swap, ITB)

so what would i need?:

-what exhaust manifold to use

-what intake manifold to use

-where to tap oil feed line

-what kind of injectors and whats the max hp rating the stock ones can handle

-what kind of downpipe to use, can the 280zx one fit oem L28

aside from the intercooler piping, i would like to utilize as much oem piping as i can. and for fuel pump i would just use a universal external fuel pump, but if anyone has experience with a good alternative that requires little headache, please do share the info.

the threads i've seen has all been a L28et swap. or modifying L28et engine. so please link me a thread that explains these mods onto a stock 78 L28 engine, rather than say "use the search" as im about to rip my hair out from searching to no avail. thank you

We should seriously somehow make reading the stickies mandatory before posting.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=84860

Granted, searching for this topic brings up a pile of $@#* due to loads of people asking about obscure random things (and subsequently being told to search), BUT the stickies ARE a good starter on this topic (which has been beat into the ground over the years).

We should seriously somehow make reading the stickies mandatory before posting.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=84860

Granted, searching for this topic brings up a pile of $@#* due to loads of people asking about obscure random things (and subsequently being told to search), BUT the stickies ARE a good starter on this topic (which has been beat into the ground over the years).

ive read that sticky, infact one of the firsts ive read. the guide suggests starting with a L28et engine. of course i understand if i used that engine, stock exhaust manifold wouldnt be a problem. im goin to use my L28 as base so i wasnt sure if the exhaust manifold of the turbo engine would directly bolt on, again the same with the downpipe. of course i knw i can custom fab a downpipe to any motor, i just wanted to knw if the oem L28et will fit L28. Ive been afraid to ask questions on hybridz anymore for this exact reason, i do search before i ask, just sometimes its not the exact answer i want comes up or looking over hundreds of threads is hard to find what you want. thanks for your reply

well your head is a round port (n47) and the p90 (turbo head) is a square port head. your cam is different but I dont think that will be too bad. the pistons are different also. the intake from the p90 will swap over to your head. to get the oil feed line just tee off of the oil pressure sending unit and run a line to the turbo. I dont know anything about injecters so I cant help you there. and a stock or aftermarket downpipe should work if you use the stock mani and turbo. but im sure there are people that can help you more just give it time, this is a slow forum kinda.

Jeremy

:icon14:

ok ive searched and searched and searched. but prolly missed that 1 thread that tells me exactly wat i need for my situation. if anyone can answer my question or post a link to a previous thread that has already answered my question would be highly appreciated.

BULLLLLL!! Really? Try again, or click on the link in my sig for some helpful info. Their are a ton of threads on this. Search "na turbo" "turbo swap" "l28 turbo". Read the sticky posted above.

-what exhaust manifold to use-

-what intake manifold to use

-where to tap oil feed line

-what kind of injectors and whats the max hp rating the stock ones can handle

-what kind of downpipe to use, can the 280zx one fit oem L28

Also what head, if you want to run much boost youll need to get a p90 to lower the compression. This also means you can use the stock exhaust turbo manifold. You can use almost any intake, you just need to make sure you have the proper vacume bungs. Also if you run the stock turbo intake youll need to plug the pressure relief valve (if you run much over stock).

well your head is a round port (n47) and the p90 (turbo head) is a square port head. your cam is different but I dont think that will be too bad. the pistons are different also. the intake from the p90 will swap over to your head. to get the oil feed line just tee off of the oil pressure sending unit and run a line to the turbo. I dont know anything about injecters so I cant help you there. and a stock or aftermarket downpipe should work if you use the stock mani and turbo. but im sure there are people that can help you more just give it time, this is a slow forum kinda.

Jeremy

:icon14:

thnx. yea i'd like to keep the stock head/block/parts as much as i can, in the future i'll just swap in a complete 280zxt engine.

Here's my build. Its still in progress. It gets better on the 2nd page or so.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=127833

wicked. i'll take a read through that. that looks like exactly what i want to do

BULLLLLL!! Really? Try again, or click on the link in my sig for some helpful info. Their are a ton of threads on this. Search "na turbo" "turbo swap" "l28 turbo". Read the sticky posted above.

Most of these questions also require us to know what kind of ecu youll be running. Stock, megasquirt? Also what head, if you want to run much boost youll need to get a p90 to lower the compression. This also means you can use the stock exhaust turbo manifold. You can use almost any intake, you just need to make sure you have the proper vacume bungs. Also if you run the stock turbo intake youll need to plug the pressure relief valve (if you run much over stock).

i mentioned i'll be using megasquirt to run the system, and run sub 10psi boost. perhaps 7psi.

ur sig link is very humorous

as mikeatrpi mentioned in his thread as well , there are tons of conflicting info and majority of which are mostly 'learn to search you noob'. if i had 5 hours a day to look through the endless threads i would more than glad to find out info on myself than ask. i've been around longer than you have and more than familiar with the 'rules' of this forum, the reason my post number isnt 1000+ is becase i like to read more than talk, but my detective abilities arent as good as some and cant find the info i need, what you want me to do? smash my head against the wall? =P i do search.

Yes, J_-- I can understand what you mean. Derek is right, the information is there if you look - but its hard to know what the right words to put into search are. At least when you're just starting to look for info. Once you get more into the build you'll have a better idea what you're looking for.

Also - for what its worth - if you have the means to use a donor car, I'd recommend considering it. It was a lot of work to get the parts, in some instances fix them, and then figure out all of my own plumbing for the exhaust, intake, and oil. I don't know if it even runs yet - I hope to do that this weekend. I have about $800 into the swap so far, not including the clutch work I did just prior.

Yes, J_-- I can understand what you mean. Derek is right, the information is there if you look - but its hard to know what the right words to put into search are. At least when you're just starting to look for info. Once you get more into the build you'll have a better idea what you're looking for.

Also - for what its worth - if you have the means to use a donor car, I'd recommend considering it. It was a lot of work to get the parts, in some instances fix them, and then figure out all of my own plumbing for the exhaust, intake, and oil. I don't know if it even runs yet - I hope to do that this weekend. I have about $800 into the swap so far, not including the clutch work I did just prior.

if available i would love to just find a decent donar engine and swap it in. However it's pretty hard to find a cheap, good L28et engine up here. and for what it's worth, its not worth dealing with customs to find one in the northwest US... i have pretty good access to turbos, intercoolers, piping, megasquirt (all the major parts) so i wanted to ask if the other bits and pieces are interchangable between the 2 motors. thnx