HybridZ

Cold air intake idea - is this a high pressure area?

I would like to bring fresh air to my air filter and am thinking about using a NACA duct about here.

P101000310.JPG

I would obviously build a box around the air filter to seal it to the hood and cut a hole in the hood to attach the duct to about here.

P10100045.JPG

So does anyone know if this is a good high pressure area to force feed the engine with?

PS - I dont want to just put a larger hole through the core support and put the air filter in front of the radiator because I still use the fresh air vents. The cabin is hot enough and they bring in a lot of fresh air so I am not going to get rid of them for the sake of routing the intake to the front.

Thanks

Cameron

The air there will be high dynamic pressure, low static pressure.

What that means is that the air has more total pressure because the energy driving the car forwards is forcing it to accelerate up and over the bonnet. However the only way you will get it from dynamic to static pressure is by providing a restriction.

One way to accomplish that would be to box the filter and run the duct into it and make it air-tight.

However if you do that make sure that the exit of the naca duct is the same size as the intake piping, or you'll be choking the intake at low speeds.

I think. :D

Dave

Using the NACA Duct to a fixed insulated box plenum under the hood with a proper diffuser would give a nice diffuse pressure box effect at speed. NACA's are designed to bring in a lot of air by creating low pressure due to the shape of the duct opening, and operate best in the conditions Helix mentions: High Dynamic (fast airspeed). You will need a large duct and for all the work you will do to properly make the plenum a diffuser box for pressure, you may as well simply duct through the radiator support to a large box there...

A more interesting approach is as follows: Is your intake manifold symmetric? Can you make it a reward-facing throttle body by reversing the upper plenum? (Like some of the Buick GenIII 3.8 V-6's.)

Then you could use the highest pressure area in the front of the vehicle, dead center of the windshield. Several Japanese Cars I have seen did this, and at least one V-8 Hybrid Z had his aircleaner ducted to the plenum area where the wiper motor resides.

That's a good idea - the cowl thing. Not sure if my intake is symmetric or not? It's a stock LS1 and I just tried to search at LS1Tech but their search engine is all but useless. As you said it may also just be as easy to somehow duct to the core support. Will have to ponder this some more.

Thanks

Cameron

Its kinda hard to see in the pic, but do you have a "duct" or "port" in your airdam?

If so, you could do something similar to my setup. I ran a flexible hose (approx 3" in diameter) and attached it to the drivers side air dam duct, and ran the duct under the lower rad support/frame rail, and into an aluminum air box surrounding my air filter. Now mine is not sealed yet, (I am planning a redesign) but I have not noticed any negative affects, and I certainly do not have any overheating issues. Its kind of a ram air setup, and is not really an issue if I'm in the rain. The filter always looks dry after being in the rain.

Scott.