HybridZ

Pics needed: Trigger Wheel Setup

JSM

Here are some pictures of revision 2.0 of the trigger mount on my car as it currently stands. The magnetic sensor mount is from Ebay and the rest I hacked up out of some 1/2" aluminum plate. I need to pull it and clean it up a bit (remove some of the extra metal) since it was kind of a rush job at the time and I don't actually own a bandsaw but it is functional and solidly mounted!

The trigger wheel on the crank pulley is TIG welded directly to the pulley. It's not a harmonic balancer, just a plain old pulley. If I was going to use a dampener then I'd probably shell out for the Rebello with attached 60-2 wheel.

-Rick

www.typeischeap.com

Trigger_1.jpg

Trigger_2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The XDi kit that I bought included a 6" wheel but I run a 5" since that's what was installed on the motor when I bought it. It also works well with the stock timing pointer. A bigger wheel can be better since the tolerance of the air gap between the wheel and sensor increases as the diameter of the wheel increases (see the Electromotive instructions). Other than that the size is really dependent on where you want your magnetic sensor to mount and whether you want to keep the stock timing pointer.

The only other thing to consider when going with an off-the-shelf damper and trigger wheel is that you may be limited on sensor mounting position based on the indexing of the wheel. I assume most will be infinitely adjustable but that might not be the case. I indexed my trigger wheel myself so I was able to set it so that it matched my mag sensor mount design.

-Rick

I talked w/ Dave yesterday, he said you really don't need the BHJ damper unless you've increased displacement. He said on stock block displacement the standard Crank pulley will be fine.

I think I'd just as soon buy it plug and play then mess around though.

Cas1.JPG

Cas2.JPG

Cas3.JPG

CASBracket.JPG

ZCover.JPG

The BHJ pics show an alternate sensor mount with the sensor 90 * to the wheel.

The lower bracket pics show a mount that holds the sensor in a tangential position. (Available, BTW) Either one works - I did the 90* one to reduce electrical noise from fans and electric water pump.

I disagree with not needing a BHJ. I know of no one with a turbo L that hasn't had problems with a reworked stocker.

The motor swap is still awaiting parole from jail, but getting closer.

The BHJ pics show an alternate sensor mount with the sensor 90 * to the wheel.

This is exactly the setup that I'm using, too. If you want to run AC, then this is what you will have to do - the electromagnetic clutch for the AC compressor will interfere with the pickup in the "normal" tangential position.

I disagree with not needing a BHJ. I know of no one with a turbo L that hasn't had problems with a reworked stocker.

Ditto.

• 5 months later...

Hey All,

Just an FYI...

Here is the url for BHJ Nissan/Datsun harmonic dampers, pulleys, trigger wheels, etc.:

http://www.bhjdynamics.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10'>http://www.bhjdynamics.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10

The main website address is:

http://www.bhjdynamics.com/

Cheers,

Chris @ BHJ

Since nobody has mentioned this idea yet....

TopEnd Performance

NEW TEP Lightweight Single Groove Aluminum Crank Pulley for L Engines. Shown with options Crank trigger wheel and bracket set. Direct bolt on for all Z engines and uses stock crank bolt and washer. Very light hard anodized T6 Pulley

$150 + shipping

Buy It Now

Add $120 labor for Crank Trigger Fabrication and Bracket + $39 for 6" trigger wheel.

This price is only when buying our pulley. If you sending your stock pulley for trigger fabrication the labor cost is $180 + the trigger wheel. If you are sending a wheel as well it needs to be 6" diamter. Some aftermarket pulleys and wheels will have a higher labor fee depending on what needs to be done.

zcrank3.jpg

Link to buy here

http://www.racetep.com/nissan.html

I also sell trigger wheels if anyone is interested, 6 inch for $25 shipped. PM if interested