HybridZ

shaking suspension.

On my 72 Datsun Z while driving above speeds of 50MPH the steering wheel begins to shake excessively. I recently replaced the steering coupler so it cant be that. Could a bad allignment be the cause of this? I just wanted to this if this has happened to anyone before i start taking and replacing parts.

Wheel balance? And check all the suspension bolts to make sure they are tight!

On my 72 Datsun Z while driving above speeds of 50MPH the steering wheel begins to shake excessively. I recently replaced the steering coupler so it cant be that. Could a bad allignment be the cause of this? I just wanted to this if this has happened to anyone before i start taking and replacing parts.

Had that when I bought my Z. I changed the worn out strut rod bushings and it cured the problem. The driver's side was broken away pretty bad. Start there and then just work your way thorugh the suspension. It'll be a slight amount of movement that's being amplified at speed.

Also check out your inner and outer tie rod ends. You mention alignment, does it pull when it's shaking? If so, definitely check the inner tie rod ends for play. With enough wear they can pull out, then BAM. Your steering rack is no longer controlling the direction one of your tires is pointing.

In any case, with cars these old, it's a good idea to replace many suspension parts. Some bushings may or may-not be needed, depending on how many miles and where the car lived, but ball joints and tie rods (or sometimes just ends) are nearly always on the list.