HybridZ

Fabrication Help

Nismo280zEd

I was doing some searches last night trying to find some metal fabrication forums. I know they are out there I've been on them before, I just can't find them anymore lol.

Anyway... The Z needs some under body work. Unfortunately the garage has no room for the car so all work has to be performed in the driveway.

Obviously my driveway, as most is not level. I was thinking about using 4 scissor jacks under the car to level the car out. I need to finish putting the new rear end in the car and I need it level so that I can measure driveshaft angles, suspension angles, etc.

Is this the best way to go about this?

While it's up in the air I'm also going to reinforce the frame ralis hopefully I can work around the jacks.

Let me know what you guys think or if you have some other ideas.

-Ed

I was doing some searches last night trying to find some metal fabrication forums. I know they are out there I've been on them before, I just can't find them anymore lol.

Anyway... The Z needs some under body work. Unfortunately the garage has no room for the car so all work has to be performed in the driveway.

Obviously my driveway, as most is not level. I was thinking about using 4 scissor jacks under the car to level the car out. I need to finish putting the new rear end in the car and I need it level so that I can measure driveshaft angles, suspension angles, etc.

Is this the best way to go about this?

While it's up in the air I'm also going to reinforce the frame ralis hopefully I can work around the jacks.

Let me know what you guys think or if you have some other ideas.

-Ed

Hi Ed

I've used laser a laser level on a tripod when I built my CNC router and it really worked like a champ.

Derek

I was thinking about using 4 scissor jacks under the car to level the car out.

-Ed

If you want to live any longer, never work on a car using scissor jacks it is not safe! Spend the money and get a good set of jack stands. You can use plywood under the jack stands to get the final adjustments. Heck just measure the angle that the frame rails are and do the math and not worry about having the car perfectly level.

For $5 you can't beat one of these for measuring angles. We are not building watches.

http://ww2.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34214

good advice above!

yeah! IM a TOOL JUNKIE!

and IM sure like most guys your nearly broke all the time, well, Im always broke due to the fact theres always TOOLS I NEED, these

http://kwiklift.com/commercial.htm

are easily moved too and used on a drive way, and your certainly not the first guy with limited room that needs to work in a drive way.

Ive prefered too use 4-to-6 12 ton jack stands, in most cases due to a limited budget, mostly, as I was saving for a real lift, and Ive used a creeper on a level concrete floor, and the 12 ton jack stands,and having two 3 ton floor jacks is the prefered method of getting the car up to height...AFTER driving up on two quality ramps to get the necessary clearance for the floor jacks, if you need the car frame exactly level use a combo of the adjustments on the jack stands and several sheets of 2ft x 2ft sq plywood slipped under the jack stand bases to get the exact height necessary OR MY LIFT. while IM under the car !

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34924

theres easily 20"-22" of space or more under the frame and even though Im on the older/heavy edge of the average with the 12 ton jack stands, I found thats enought space

the lift of course is even better for some things, but you would be surprised at the number of times the jackstands and creeper still get used, and how for some applications they are even prefered

hes right about the ramp idea, but if i may offer my opinion.. Rent one of those single-sided hydraulic lifts

single sided hydraulic lifts? Not sure I've ever seen one of those. That kwiklift you provided the link for is pretty nifty, I'll have to look into that, however for my current project it won't work.

The entire rear end of the car is removed right now. No suspension, axles, hubs, wheels, differential, etc.

I know scissor jacks are crap, I've had one fall while changing a tire before. I have 2 6ton jacks and lots of jack stands. I have some jacks used for trailer homes that have screw adjustments that I was planning on using before the scissor jack idea. I guess I will revert back to that plan.

The single sided lift I believe he's talking about is a "portable" lift.

It's not really very "portable" as it still weighs a ton. But think of it as a pallette jack...on 'roids. (I can't find any pics for you.)

The shop I used to do a little work in had one. They're pretty dangerous.

It'd be fine for light duty stuff you wanna do that having the car off the ground would help...but if you go banging and rocking on it, it can tip over.

Eagle Equipment made the one we had, and I think they stopped selling them b/c they were pretty dangerous.

Check out their site though...they have a nice little portable lift with a 6,000lb capacity, that looks to be much safer...for about $1800.

http://www.eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/LI-ML/MD-6XP

Yes side lifts are dangerous but renting one is cheap and depending on height you want to lift without using at least a two post anything is very dangerous IMHO. You said that you had a few long screw jacks i would use the lift then secure each corner with those would be the hot ticket. Good luck and be safe Sir

RK