HybridZ

Poly Bushing Install Part:1

Smokescreen

Hi everyone,

I know I"m a few weeks late and I'm really only covering the front sway bar End links and front strut rod bushings(The rest will follow I promise), but Here goes. I'll start with the Part numbers for the 1979 280ZX. All parts are Energy Suspension Polyurethane replacement bushings. You can find the Energy Suspension brand by googling it.

Sway Bar End Link set:9.8122g

Front Stabalizier bushings: 7.5104g

Front Strut Rod bushings: 7.7102g

Now, with that out of the way we will cover the tools needed to remove the front sway bar and its associated hardware. All you need is :

1: 3/8 drive ratchet with extensions.

2: 14MM shallow and deep well sockets.

3: lube to break up old bolts.( I"ve learned that while mechanically sound in the engine department the bolts around the engine tend to loose their integrity after 30 years;)

4: 14mm box end/ open end wrench.

I'll show some pics of the 2 sets of mounts they are easily accessible.

The strut rod ends are a little more difficult to get to but it can be done with a 17MM box end. Also they can be reached with a socket of the same size but it's a little tricky.(Mine wasn't bad due to the fact that I removed my A/C compressor.[Note:The lower control arm will drop back after you disconnect the Strut Rod. This is no big deal. You can manhandle the wheel/control arm back into position. I did it by myself but I stuggled for a second trying to start the bolt while pulling the wheel into alignment :x.] This one is for you Philbert. Feel free to hit me up if you need any explaining. So far this bushing setup is very easy.

old end links_thumb.jpg

Access hole for support rod retaining nut_thumb.jpg

Old swaybar Stabalizers_thumb.jpg

swaybar removed_thumb.jpg

New poly end links_thumb.jpg

Read this, then reconsider: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=87758

If you still have the old rubber units, I think you can lessen the strain by using rubber on the back side and poly on the front side.

Wow, thats kinda scary, I wish the photos of the damage were still visable, i would like to check mine, but im not exactly sure where to start, ive been running energy suspension tc rod bushings for almost a year and a half. So your saying on the front under the radiator support, change that bushing out for a stock rubber one?

Wow, thats kinda scary, I wish the photos of the damage were still visable, i would like to check mine, but im not exactly sure where to start, ive been running energy suspension tc rod bushings for almost a year and a half. So your saying on the front under the radiator support, change that bushing out for a stock rubber one?

Poly in front, rubber in back. Doesn't matter if you're talking Z or ZX, poly in the front, rubber in the back.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone had pictures of the poly/ rubber setup or a least give me details on the install (brain fart). I'm a bit confused on the set up. I just set up my tokico suspension and want to install the energy suspension polys for the front and rear of the car.

'83 zx

• 2 weeks later...

abes - I did this install this spring with Prothane bushings.

Makes it really tight -I love the handling.

I was worried too about the tension rods snapping - hasn't happened yet. Official word from Prothane was that they were fine with poly on both sides of the tension rod front mount, and not to change them out...I'm sticking with it and will cross my fingers.

Search my user name and you'll find my DIY with tons of pics.