HybridZ

XTR - XTD eBay Clutch Pack Review

Doc Hawk

If you threw it in there without balancing, and you have a driveline vibration... at least you'll know why :)

Yeah, I'm just hoping it won't be so bad that it's undriveable for a few hundred miles. I just picked up an extra engine/transmission, so this might become the 'long-term' build, which would mean that I can spend a little extra time getting the clutch/flywheel pack to a shop to balance it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just joining the party.

I'm using an xtd stage 3 on my Z as well.  Running it on an l28et that I rebuilt to stock specs and tossed bolt ons onto (NPR Fmic, 3" exhaust from the turbo back, 450 injectors, haltech stand alone, thats about it for power).  The cars tested a hair over 300 whp and 360 wt on a dyno jet.  Have had 0 issues with my clutch (knock on wood) thus far.  Didnt do anything special to it- Picked it up in socal and bolted it on out of the box.  I dont rev my engine past the stock (l28et) redline.

I just got my new replacement clutch pack in the mail. This unit has the 6 puck friction disc and the pressure plate is suposed to hold 500 torque. The email I received said that this setup is not prefered for street use, but should hold up to the power my Z is making. My special 240sx trans rebuild will be done tomorow. Then I will find out just how "unfriendly" the clutch is going to be....

The quality of the clutch kit will depend on how well they copied someone else's design.  XTD is Aimco, which looks like a typical off-shore copycat company.

Here's an interesting couple of links.  It doesn't look like they manufacture anything in the states.  The contact e-mail address is a yahoo.com address.  Just shining some light for those who want to know where these great deals come from.

http://www.xtdclutch.com/cms.php?id_cms=4

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/aimco-clutch-company-ebay-id-aimcoclutch/los-angeles-california-60007/aimco-clutch-company-ebay-id-aimcoclutch-jim-kun-song-xtd-racing-clutches-sells-automot-378941

EBay is a crap-shoot.  Hope for sevens...

I just got my new replacement clutch pack in the mail. This unit has the 6 puck friction disc and the pressure plate is suposed to hold 500 torque. The email I received said that this setup is not prefered for street use, but should hold up to the power my Z is making. My special 240sx trans rebuild will be done tomorow. Then I will find out just how "unfriendly" the clutch is going to be....

Didnt even think of commenting on that aspect haha.

For what its worth, the pedal feel, albeit firmer than a stock clutch, is still relatively light and very manageable.  The engagement itself is fairly aggressive, the point between slipping and full contact is diminished over a factory clutch, but by no means is it an "on/off" switch either.  15 minutes later and youll be taking off without launching the car and chirping the tires.  Mine does chatter if im not giving it enough gas or releasing the clutch too abruptly.  But give it a bit more throttle and let it slip just that hair more and I can take off like the clutch was factory (Ie smooth, gently, and easily).

All in all for me the clutch demonstrates the traits youd expect from a "more aggressive" clutch, but all of them can be compensate for with a bit of care/practice if youre into the "not driving roughly" thing (Im prety anal about driving what I consider smoothly, i dont like "feeling" my shifts up or down). 

Ive had the clutch for a few years (which is worth pointing out, as I dont know if the current quality has gone up, down, or remained the same).  At one point for about a year it was a daily driver- and has been downed to "light use" a couple of times a year (Ive moved to australia and the car has stayed in america as my weekend track toy/hobby/source of vehement).  Ive had absolutely no issues to report of any kind with my clutch.  For the money I spent im quite happy and would gladly do it again.  Especially you consider that im making 360 pounds of torque at my hubs, which "should" be well over 400 pounds at the back of the flywheel itself.