HybridZ

Project Turbo LS1

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I was wondering if you knew the AR of the compressor and turbine on your GT45 turbo?

Sorry dude, I've been really lazy and have not brought the turbo into work with me, or taken my caliper home. I will get around to it eventually and you'll be the first to know when I do so.

So after much search for a way to get rid of my old turbo log manifolds I have finally found a solution. Being a lurker on "theturboforums" I found a guy using C6 vette manifolds flipped and upside down. They point forward / upward. And since they hug the block pretty good, I ordered me up a set and threw them on the car for a test fit.

DSCN2376.JPG

DSCN2377.JPG

DSCN2380.JPG

The passenger side comes pretty close to the inner fender, but it does not hit. And the closest point is just the outer portion of the flange anyways, no biggie. Naturally, I had to change the mid section on my manifold in order to accommodate the new manifolds. Nothing that the 'ol harbor freight tig can't take care of!

DSCN2384.JPG

DSCN2385.JPG

DSCN2387.JPG

I have also changed a couple other things with the car. I'm now running 317 heads Vs. my old 5.3 heads. Goal was to lower the compression so I can run some more boost safely. And I'm using an LS1 intake manifold Vs. m6 old LS6 manifold. (Had to borrow the LS6 for an N/A project) So the difference by ONLY swapping the manifolds was... no tire spin on the freeway, to: now I've got some tire spin on the freeway. I'm only running about 8 - 9psi too. Tomorrow I am taking the car out to the local 1/8th mile strip and as always... Will keep you all posted. Probably have a movie to post as well. Till next time.

How much were the C6 exhaust manifolds?

I have been kicking around the idea of turbo'ing my LQ4, but I want A/C for next summer. So if I were to do this I would have to place the turbo on the passenger side to allow the use of JCI's A/C setup.

I have also considered two smaller turbos like GT25's, but the extra piping might not save me any space.

Edited by Cable

I have also considered a twin set up. But think that you would just have twice the piping running everywhere. Who knows... I picked up a set of C6 manifolds off ebay for 83$ shipped. Not too bad in my opinion. Seems like with the new manifolds the turbo spools up a little bit quicker. Which is a relief! It was pretty laggy before. So Tonight I took the car out to the track. As always, ran into some snags... But Also ran some of the best times I ever have. The best time slip is: 6.6 @ 104 with a 1.52 60ft. Next best slip is 7.8 @ 106 with a not so good 60ft. On the 106 run the car was bogging / sputtering on the Tbrake some, and also off the line. Once I hit the 60ft. mark the car took off like nothing I have ever felt before and still trapped 106. Seems as if my old manifolds were holding me back big time! Every small turn of the boost controller would give me VERY noticeable gains. With the old manifolds, every time I upped the boost the car would get slower. And tonight I was able to run as much as 12psi.

I imagine there are a couple of reasons the manifolds are doing better than the 'log' style manifolds you were running prior.

First, the longer runners for each port allows the exhaust to speed out of the combustion chamber easier/smoother vs the stubby connections.

Second, the cast iron manifolds will contain heat better than the log manifolds since turbo(s) need that heat for the turbine, especially during spooling.

I imagine there are a couple of reasons the manifolds are doing better than the 'log' style manifolds you were running prior.

First, the longer runners for each port allows the exhaust to speed out of the combustion chamber easier/smoother vs the stubby connections.

Second, the cast iron manifolds will contain heat better than the log manifolds since turbo(s) need that heat for the turbine, especially during spooling.

Yup! I am sure that's whats making all the difference here. I just wish I would have done this earlier. BTW, I threw my caliper in my bag at work yesterday to bring home. So I'll get some measurements for you by the week ends end.

Thanks Dustin! I was a little hesitant to up the boost. For the longest time I've been fighting a "leaning out condition" No matter what I do to the fuel map, the car just leans out as the RPM's go up in 3rd gear. On my last runs at the track when looking back at the logs I noticed my Battery voltage dropping down to 10.5v region. So I ordered up a new higher amperage alternator, and threw it in the car already. Next track day is Oct. 8th. So I'll be testing it out to see if I can maintain the proper voltage. And at the same time see if I can get my AFR into the safe zone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey I am using the same manifolds on turbo project, but I was wondering what plug wires you are using? My coils are the square truck type and the drivers side #5 is too close to even get a plug wire on the coil. Did you have you move your coils at all?

Thanks!!

I actually did adjust the coils a little bit on their brackets, I remember it being a HUGE pain to get the wires through there. I also used a heat wrap around the outside of all the wires.

I think I eventually switch to a set of custom wires that all routed towards the back of the head and plugged into the spark plugs from the bottom side.