HybridZ

toughest decision of my life....

hoov100

• Administrators

Hoov,

Two totally different animals. Having done several L powered S-30s, a few V-8 S-30s, a couple Z-32s, and a Q-45, all as daily drivers and some S-30 as race cars as well, I have learned the S-30 and Z-32 are 2 totally different animals and one just cannot replace the other. Both would be ideal, though in having to choose just one, it depends on how much comfort and plushness one desires vs a more raw intimate relationship between man, machine, and road.

I’m right now in a similar situation;

1) Supercharged SBC T-56 S-30, (I have ALL the power train parts minus cam and headers), for my ’75 shell.

2) My ’96 Q-45 that was rear ended is the donor for my current daily driver, ’93 Z-32.

I am planning to build BOTH!

The S-30 platform is a more raw and pure form of communication between the car, the road, and the driver vs the Z-32. The S-30 is high in fun factor, lighter weight, more of an intimate relationship during the “drive”. It is low tech, simplistic, nostalgic, is adorned by lovers of vintage sports cars world wide. It does take more effrot to drive, but that is part of its charm.

The Z-32 is more insulated, heavier, plush, a complex sports car with a modern exotic look, conducive for those evenings out to black tie affairs. Conversations with a significant other on a long drive across the country can be had without having to raise ones voice. It is sporty, though not racy. Feels great up to 7-8 tenths, above that level, its weight and insulation between road and driver are more evident vs the S-30.

And excerpt from another thread;

What happened to cars and the character they possessed? My Q-45' date=' numb and boring. My Z-32 is numb and mundane to just drive around, though is spirited at 7 tenths, but still doesn't communicate with much intensity to the driver of what the car is doing. Get into an S-30 and its character is its charm. the smells, noises, vibrations, feel of the controls, etc. Todays offerings are so non-evasive to the driver, he is being further and further disconnected from the “[i']driving[/i]” experience. sleep.gif

I vote build both. Each will fill a specific role that the other just cannot fully fill. :2thumbs:

Finish what you've already got. This isn't meant to be offensive - if you've run out of steam on your current project, how do you know you won't on the next?

You're further along with the S30 now than you would be to sell it all off and start all over with the other car. Finish it and enjoy both. Start on the Z32 when you're done with the S30, if you're so inclined after finishing a project.

You are in California. The Z32 is subject to bi-annual smog testing; the 240z, while not exempt from smog regulations, is not subject to bi-annual testing.

Unless you get the swap BAR approved, the Z32 would be a PITA come registration tag time.

A Z32 is a nightmare to work on. General maintenance is so not easy and if you have any major component go out, its usually pull the motor time. Not fun. But if you like cursing at your car and pulling everything apart to just fix a seal or small oil leak, then the z32 is the one for you.

alright, i should have been more clear, i would be buying back the 240z and finishing it enough to make it a driver while its being worked on, where as the z32 would be pretty much be buy motor, install harness, fab motor mounts and recreate the firewall and finish fixing the body, but i dont know what it was about the z32, but i liked the way it handled, how i could literally feel where the cars limits where and i could daily one without getting sore or worrying about if its gonna break down, i dont know, i will see when the money comes (sometime this month) and its time to buy.

worse comes to worse i always have the bike to go fast and handle with on a daily basis.

• Administrators
A Z32 is a nightmare to work on. General maintenance is so not easy and if you have any major component go out, its usually pull the motor time. Not fun. But if you like cursing at your car and pulling everything apart to just fix a seal or small oil leak, then the z32 is the one for you.

:lmao: Oh sooooo very true... :lmao: When I bought mine it already had all 6 fuel injectors swapped out once prior. Over the last year I have swapped out 3 of those once new OE NISSAN Red top injectors, one at a time, (Dremel method, but with die grinder)! Last one was just last week! These cars eat their injectors for breakfast lunch and dinner.

The intake manifold covers the entire engine bay burying everything that needs maintenance and it is not a quick or easy task to remove. I have been told it is essentially easier to remove the engine to service the main maintenance items under the intake than it is to remove the intake in car. That is the main reason I WILL be ripping out the VG to install something else to ease future maintenance, and to increase the ease at which it can turn tires into Instrument Meteorological Conditions, i.e. FOG! :2thumbs: