HybridZ

T5 tranny in a N/A 79 280zx

ckolander

This is probably a stupid question, and I did run a search with no apparent answer, but will the t5 fit in my 79 280zx. The only reason that I want to do this is for the short shifter option. Any information that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck

The T5 is not a very good transmission. T5s have a very notchy feeling. The Datsun 5 speeds shift much smoother, and to be honest, are more reliable than the T5. Get teh short shift kit for your Datsun 5speed and be done with it.

The T5 is not a very good transmission. T5s have a very notchy feeling. The Datsun 5 speeds shift much smoother, and to be honest, are more reliable than the T5. Get teh short shift kit for your Datsun 5speed and be done with it.

Eh? Come again? I had always heard the exact opposite...Well except the part about the notchy feel, but I prefer that feel anyhow.

My concern would be gearing. Make sure you get the apropriately geared differential (and speedo cog) otherwise you could end up with high RPMs at highway speeds.

I disagree....if the T5 wasn't any good, they wouldn't have used it for 20 years in so many vehicles. It can be made to shift just fine with aftermarket or Mustang shifters. The main problem was the stock Nissan shifter.

Greg

Ok Ok Ok, so the t5 will fit, but I'm getting mixed reviews on it. I happen to like the tranny I have I would just prefer a shorter throw on it. I'm not a super duper race car driver, I'm just an idiot who likes to go fast. Now I know that there was a thread of somebody who short shifted this tranny, but I couldn't figure out what he did. Can anybody give me any pointers???

Thanks,

Chuck

Motorsport Auto sells a short throw kit for the 280Z 5speed.

IMO, the Nissan transmissions shift better, and are more reliable than the T5 or T56 for that matter. Drive a T56 Camaro, and then drive a 350Z. Tell me what feels better.

So again this is probably a stupid question, but is the tranny the same between the 280z('78??) and a 79 280zx??

Strangely enough I can completely teardown and put everything back together but if you ask me to explain how I do it, no can do. If you ask me what a certain part is called, I'll give you a combo of deer in the headlights and nobody's home blank stare. Hell it even annoys the hell out of me 90% of the time. Do you know how bad it is to carry a 3 page printout to the auto parts store because if you don't you'll end up having to describe what the part looks like and what it does in order to figure out what to buy.............

Go T5! It was the OE manual trans on the '82-'83 ZX's....as well as over 200 other cars through the years.

I don't imagine the trans tunnel dimensions changed that drastically. Though you may have to "massage" the tunnel a bit with a hammer...but that's no biggie.

There are basically two classes of T5. The World Class (WC) and Non-World Class (NWC). You can find them in junk yards everywhere. They're the SBC 350ci of transmissions. :)

If you don't have it yet, you should look for one from an '89-up Mustang GT. Or if you get lucky..one from a '93-up Mustang Cobra...the T5z.

Though the '85-up models would be good too as they were updated with a taller gear ratio. But the T5z was upgraded with shorter throw, tapered bearings, and a bunch of other good stuff that I can't remember.

They're GREAT gearboxes if you treat it well and don't dog the crap out of it without maintaining it regularly. But no...it's generally not a good trans if you're planning on putting more than 300 ft/lbs through it. The guys that think they're crap are generally the ones that are trying to put big power through it.

But, it you're gonna stay under that with your motor, it'll last you for ages...and with the correct bell, will mate to just about anything.

I was just reading up on T5's a few hours ago actually, and came across this article that I got a lot of good T5 info from...

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_0609_t5_transmission/index.html

I'm looking for a nice 5-speed gearbox as well...but I have a bit more in power requirements, so I'll probably be going with Tremec's aftermarket TKO series. But they don't come as a factory trans in anything, so I'll prolly have to buy a new one. :(

Ok Ok Ok, so the t5 will fit, but I'm getting mixed reviews on it. I happen to like the tranny I have I would just prefer a shorter throw on it. I'm not a super duper race car driver, I'm just an idiot who likes to go fast. Now I know that there was a thread of somebody who short shifted this tranny, but I couldn't figure out what he did. Can anybody give me any pointers???

Thanks,

Chuck

Here here! Aren't we all! i'm just glad to see someone freely admit it! haha! :rockon:

So again this is probably a stupid question, but is the tranny the same between the 280z('78??) and a 79 280zx??

Strangely enough I can completely teardown and put everything back together but if you ask me to explain how I do it, no can do. If you ask me what a certain part is called, I'll give you a combo of deer in the headlights and nobody's home blank stare. Hell it even annoys the hell out of me 90% of the time. Do you know how bad it is to carry a 3 page printout to the auto parts store because if you don't you'll end up having to describe what the part looks like and what it does in order to figure out what to buy.............

No, they are similar, but not the same. The ratios are different. The NA ZX transmission is more desirable because of a closer ration between 2nd and 3rd. The shifter is slightly different also. You don't need to take it apart to put the short throw kit in.

It looks liek the MSA kit is for only 280Z 5speed:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PRC02A

group201050g.jpg

You might want to call them.

Motorsport Auto sells a short throw kit for the 280Z 5speed.

IMO, the Nissan transmissions shift better, and are more reliable than the T5 or T56 for that matter. Drive a T56 Camaro, and then drive a 350Z. Tell me what feels better.

Thats not a fair comparison at all. Saying that Nissan transmissions "shift better" is a pretty big generality. The 350Z tranny has nice shift action but they also munch 5th gear like its their job among many other issues...and I still prefer the shift feel that most Hondas have.

The problem with the Nissan T5, I have heard is the horrible shifter design. If you switch to a mustang short shifter (B&M/summit/etc.) then it loses its horrible feel and vagueness. This makes sense to me...I mean look at the poor design of the nissan shifter, its just a straight rod...even the Nissan Competition shifters for the "b" 5 speeds had an S curve to it.

shifters_thumb.jpg

I've got the Summit shifter for my T5 that will go into my 240Z, and it shifts very nicely indeed, has shift stops, and is adjustable, etc. I considered getting the close ratio Nissan trans but went with the T5 because I plan to turbo and wanted the extra torque capability. I've driven both, and the stock T5 does not shift as nice as the Nissan trans. With an aftermarket shifter, the T5 shifts just fine. The ratios on the T5 are very close to the B series 4 speed too, so it will keep a similar setup to what I have now with the 4 speed.

In your situation with the 280ZX, I think it should work fine. The president of the Northwest Z club has a 280ZX with a T5 in it. He's pretty happy with it. PM me if you want his contact info and you can ask him what he thinks of it.

I've also read and heard that the input shaft on the T5 Nissan used was different than the Mustang sourced ones, I don't know if thats correct or not.

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

Gents,

Looking for a thread about which oil to run in the Turbo B-W T5 gearbox, and found this thread. Several guys who have used the box. Installed one from an 82 into my 81 ZX Turbo, and am very happy. But just learned it should have ATF in it. I did not know, and have been running Red LIne syn gear box lube. How much trouble am I in. Should I leave it alone, or just drain and replace with ATF? If I replace, do I need to do it several times to get all traces of the gear lube out?

Thanks

Art

Gents,

Looking for a thread about which oil to run in the Turbo B-W T5 gearbox, and found this thread...

Art

Here is good thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=82485

As far as the T-5, WC T-5 discussion, the input shafts have different spline count and diameter, even between Non WC T-5's; as stated the bell housing is also different. Adding a shift kit like the B&M Pro Ripper that I added helps stiffen up the shift a lot and adds a level of security with shift stops. Take a good look at the stock Nissan T-5 shifter and you will see it is nothing more than a stamped steel piece with a shifter ball attached. Not the best design but quick and dirty to get the cars off the assembly line IMO. The Nissan version in the B box is much better as far as a nice solid shifter as far as feel and stiffness in the stick. Ratios are different from the T-5 and better out of the hole if you don't mind banging the first two gears rather quickly...Stick in a 4.11 gear set and your ridiculously whizzing through the gear box. These boxes also have issues with extremely high Torque engines and...not an issue for us wimpy engine guys:

http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/world-class-t-5-transmission-upgrade/

Yes I know that is an article about the WC tranny but the Non-WC is even weaker. Eeeaakkk!!

Just my $0.02.