HybridZ

Crankcase vent to catch can...PICs?

RisingSun

On 12/5/2008 at 11:21 AM, z-ya said:

What I did is convert the block vent to a -8AN fitting, then I used a right angle -8AN swivel fitting to wrap the vent hose around the front of the engine to the catch can mounted on the passenger fender. The valve cover vents into the catch can through a -6AN fitting. The catch can has a drain on the bottom, and a large K&N type filter on the top. Has worked well for many miles on the race track.

This is kind of an old picture. The car has a stainless steel catch can now (plastic ones are cheap, and not all that strong).

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/psanders240/clubcar/P1010004.jpg

I know this thread is ancient, but I was curious how you converted the block vent to AN ?

28 minutes ago, THUNDERZ said:

I know this thread is ancient, but I was curious how you converted the block vent to AN ?

doing this now. Welding a steel AN-10 fitting to the OEM vent tube. Just bought an adapter fitting and cutting off the NOT threads. You can do wonders with a MIG welder! Where I am putting my catch can, it’s a straight-shot (10” hose) to keep weight down. Top AN connection will be connected to the filter air box to reduce some of the leaded fuel fumes in the cab 

6F7D7813-7FD3-4A9B-982E-B6FAD6BBC8A0.jpeg

Edited by AydinZ71

On 2/22/2022 at 12:07 PM, THUNDERZ said:

I made a custom T with 1" & 5/8" tubing + some custom "washers" to close the gap. Doing that would take a lot of time by hand + some semi specialized tools like a die grinder w/carbide burr, step drill, drill press + vise. The easier option is a 1" NPT brass "T" with 1" NPT 5/8" hose barb. If you have a local supply place you can probably get the parts for ~$20. The fabric coated hose I used in the pictures was ~ $4/foot iirc.

I mounted mine to the block since I think it looks cleaner, though it would be better to have the block outlet hose dumping slightly below it's outlet so anything condensing drips down into the can. Generic $35 ebay catch can.

Motoiq.com put out a video on the "IAG Air Oil Separator" which is a step up from the catch can. It uses the coolant loop to heat the can directs the mist to the wall of the can in an effort to evaporate any moisture with the oil draining back into the block. Definitely overkill for a street car, but worth a mention if someone finds this thread and is looking for a better track option.

Catchcan Bracket 2.PNG

Catchcan Bracket 1.PNG

Catchcan Bracket 3.PNG