HybridZ

Ecotec engines?

PanzerAce

First: Yes, I searched. There was only one thread on this back in '06

This kit: http://www.synapseturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=&Product_Code=syn-kit05&Category_Code=features

got me thinking about these engines again. While obviously it remains to be seen how long they can put out ~370whp before something serious breaks, it seems like it would be a great alternative to those who want a four cylinder Z as a DD.

Anyone ever put one of these (or any Ecotec for that matter) into a Z?

note: This is the direct injection engine, not the regular 2.0L

I have actually thought long and hard, done quite a bit of research and plotted out a whole cost analysis to put one of these motors into a 510. I currently have at my disposal two 2.2l Ecotec motors, both with spun bearings. The only problem that I kept coming across was the price.

No matter how I configured it, N/A or forced induction, compared to swapping in something more common like a SR20DET it always came out much more expensive. Sure, the height isn't of much concern, mounts can be fabbed, the Solstice RWD or Canyon/Colorado (Aisin AR-5) trans can be used, etc..., but after factoring in everything it was almost twice as expensive vs. a more readily supported platform.

A turbo setup would be great, but you'd basically have to piece together your own kit and buy/modify the electronics (hptuners, megasquirt, etc) to run it. Put all that on top of the budget for mounts, trans, driveshaft and everything else and your looking at 5-6k easily.

The other way to go would be N/A, and there are plenty of parts available, but again costs escalate rapidly before you begin approaching reasonably comparable power levels.

I just couldn't justify that kind of expense when an SR20 w/ trans is 1800-2k and McKinney Motorsports already fabs mounts and crossmembers.

This is a good read to get you started:

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=318797&t=318797

Here's a link to a build thread for an Ecotec powered RWD Rock Buggy with a Powerglide trans.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325150

Rhys Millen had an Ecotec mated to a T-56 in his Solstice GXP drift car.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=124174

Oh, and BTW, the stock bottom end is good for quite a bit of horsepower. Try and find the article online that has GM's proprietary test results when they were first breaking this motor to find weak points.

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually looking at this for a dead reliable swap that can be daily driven. Slightly more power than a stock N/A Z, a ton less weight, comes with everything(!!!!!) except for trans and new crossmembers to mount in a Z

http://turnkeyenginesupply.com/or_22170.html

2.2 Ecotec 170 H.P

170 H.P Ecotec 155 Ft. Lbs Torque22170_1.jpgType: 2.2L I-4

Displacement: 2189 cc (134 ci)

Compression ratio: 10.0:1

Bore x stroke: 86.00 x 94.60mm

Fuel system: sequential fuel injection

Rev Limit: 6000

Block: cast aluminum

Cylinder head: cast aluminum

Intake manifold: composite

Connecting rods: forged powder metal

hr3.png

Complete Ignition - 5 Wire Hook-up

• Coil packs, wires and plugs
  • Delphi ECM with TurnKey calibration
  • Custom marine grade engine wiring harness
  • Uses all OEM connectors
  • Electric fan controls

Complete Accessories

• Alternator and water pump
  • Serpentine belt system - Brackets and tensioners
  • Billet water line relocation kit

Complete AN Fitted Fuel System

• AN fitted fuel rails
  • EFI fuel pump kit
  • Pre-filter
  • Fuel pressure regulator
  • -6 & -8 Fuel line fittings with o-rings & crush washers

Complete Detail Package

• Engine oil and filter
  • K&N air filter
  • Hardware kit
  • Motor mount bolts
  • Oil temp. sending unit port
  • Water temp. sending unit port
  • Installation guide

Options

• Billet
  • Chrome
  • Power steering

(call for pricing) Off Road Package Includes

• Stage 2 clutch - 228mm
  • Flywheel - 228mm
  • Pressure plate - 228mm
  • Adapter plate & hardware
  • Off road ceramic coated headers
  • Outterwear for air filter

$5,500.00

• 2 weeks later...

The throttle body is probably going into a resonate chamber bellow the runners, the it makes a 180 degree turn to head back to the head. Looks like a good low end torque design, and if the runners are large enough should breathe cleanly up to 5500rpm or so.

I can't imagine a swap costing 5-6k though, even with turbo parts. How much do the engines cost to get a hold of? But even 5k is a reasonable amount of money to spend on a SR swap too... Look at the budget alot of the SR guys have and you'll see that many of them are spending that kind of money.

Why?

Because they want more than stock power and end up replacing part after part to make sure it's still "reliable" and "done right". I don't think they're necessarily wrong for doing so, but I'm just saying 5k is common for lots of people to spend on swaps.

Oh, and how much does this engine really weigh? Because the stock L series isn't nearly as heavy as people seem to think. It's more about where it's mounted than how much it weighs. The stock L series sits a good 3" from the firewall and can sit about 1" lower without too much risk of killing the oil pan. Just doing a good mount job and shortening your driveshaft can give you a very good weight balance to START with, then suspension tuning can begin and that's where the real magic in handling lies.

I think in the long run, you'd be saving no more than 40 pounds, which isn't much honestly.

If my two Ecotec's weren't outside covered in snow right now I could take some pictures of how the intake is designed and show the path the air takes.

I've also seen pictures of custom log style intake manifolds for these motors that'll fit an LS1 TB.

As far as weight goes, it's two cylinders less than an L6, and the block and head are both lost foam cast aluminum. They're quite a bit lighter I'd think.

I've also got all the dimensions of the 2.2l motor around here somewhere if someone needs them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't forgotten about you Emptyset. Two days ago I found my page of notes with the measurements, but couldn't remember which was L16 and which was Ecotec. I was going to get some better measurements today, but it snowed a foot and a half.

Here's for ZZZeee. A picture I took between snowstorms:

ecotecairflow.jpg

That should help you understand the odd configuration of the intake manifold.

• 3 weeks later...

The 260hp and 260 ft. lbs turbocharged engine in the Turbocharged Saturn Sky and the Solstive GXP (LNF) are pretty strong ecotecs. If I am not mistaken they both feature direct injection as well. They are making really good numbers with the synapse turbo swaps, (also look at Hahn racecraft, bill hahn is very very knowledgeable) as long as you have a good tune you would be fine.

• 1 month later...

Bill Hahn and his kid are both great people. They made it out to the GM Tuner Bash last year and we were all out till about 4am drinkin and BSin. They had their sunfire with them. If you give them a call they can lead you to the right direction. There is a fairly large aftermarket for these motors, they can handle themselves quite well stock, and they can be had for a dime a dozen.

ecotecforum.com

j-body.org

ecotecpower.com

allecotec.com - site owner is one of the most honest guys you will meet