HybridZ

transmission question...

Ok, I'm really getting frustrated and need some guidance.

I'm building a HO 383, and will be putting down high 400HP/TQ numbers.

I've been trying to gather all my pieces and parts.

I got a good deal on a T5 out of an 85 mustang. Come to find out that it really won't hold the power. So I found a Tremec T5 out of a 1995 Cobra. Or so the guy thought. Turns out the transmission is a T45. which from tremec's site, is actually better, as it has a higher torque rating and smoother shifting characteristics.

Now the problems....I have the bell housing and everything. But Im told that it won't bolt up. So searching for some kind of conversion kit, it is sounding like i'm up the creek without a conversion kit.

So can someone here with some hopeful solid experience in this matter either

a) Tell me where I can get a conversion kit or plate for a T45 transmission to a 1995 SBC block?

B) Tell me what transmission will actually work for this application. --I don't want automatic if I can help it. If I have to go automatic, I have a 4L60 (not the 'E' model), will that bolt up if I need to use it for now?

Thanks.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Although I'm screwed at this point, I thought I would post my findings for future poor bastards...

McLeod doesn't have any kind of adapter for putting a T45 to anything. No one does. Because the T45 has an integrated bell housing...

They put me in touch with Keisler, who has their OWN complete T45 trans with a custom BH that mounts to the LT1. But for some stupid reason, they won't sell the integrated bell housing replacement unit by it's self. They will only sell the transmission as a whole.

They put me in touch with Astro Performance. This was the best connection I got. I spoke to Tony there and he told me that I need to really get ahold of a T5 because they now have a very cheap upgrade for the T5's, that makes them bullet proof to 500 ft lbs.

Which about made me cry, because that is what I started out with, and sold because it was too 'wimpy' and would never hold up.

He also explained to me that the T45, however being a great transmission, is a bad choice because you can only get the parts from the OE dealerships...IE, $$$. There are no aftermarket upgrades or options for them.

So I hope anyone else trying to work this stumbles on this thread before they begin and it saves them some gray hair. :rolleyesg

This was the best connection I got. I spoke to Tony there and he told me that I need to really get ahold of a T5 because they now have a very cheap upgrade for the T5's, that makes them bullet proof to 500 ft lbs.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much. "Very cheap" is in the eye of the beholder, and it looks to me like they were talking about a GForce T5 for $2550.

http://www.astroperformance.com/product_info.php/products_id/531

I suppose I could be wrong, but I didn't see anything else on their website, and I've never heard of anything else that allows those kinds of power levels out of a T5...

Get a tko with a GM bolt pattern and input shaft. It will handle the torque, and uses standard SBC bellhousings and clutches. With JTR mounts, you might have to trim the shifter opening slightly, but probably less that 1/2". The only reason to use a high dollar T5 over a tko is the T5 is about 10 - 15# lighter.

jt

Yea, advanceadapters is the first place I actually tried. Same answer.

TKO... Well, I haven't been able to find much in the lines of the TKO. Also, I've heard from a couple of the places I've went that in the long run, you can build the T5 better, and have more options available. I don't know.

I'm rethinking the level of the build to be honest. With the weight of these cars, 510ftlbs is pretty insane. I don't plan on taking it to the drag strip much, other than after I've been able to get to know the car a little, get some time slips so I know what it can do. Other than that, I just want a sweet hot rod.

So here is what my current thoughts are. Since I've already got the 20 over flat top pistons, tear the engine down and have them put in. I'm going to go big on the cam shaft.

I want a nice lope to the engine. Everyone says don't go big because there is no power off the line. Well, how much do we need in these light cars to be quick off the line? Also, I figured it might help in the launches anyway. Get the car moving, and then come unglued!!

:trippen:

I've got the intake man, and heads that are ported/polished huge to match. roller rockers, pistons. Need to get the 58MM throttle body, cam....

I figure if the guy I bought all this engine stuff from, who had it on stock lower internals, put down 360rwhp on a smaller cam, that if I get it bored 20 over and put in a bigger cam, I should see maybe 370? Which is plenty in that little car, and if I get into a pinch, I've got my 100shot nos to fall back on.

anyway. Thanks for the info. I'm going to keep a look out for either a TKO or a T5. Sounds like either one will work in the end.

my father had to fabricate an adapter plate for the Chevy clutch to stock Z transmission. That's about as much knowledge as i can share about the matter. not too sure on ford transmissions going in

I have heard the TKO are very notchy and like shifting gears in a u-haul or something. Have never had one, just what I was told. I have a g-force T5 and am pleased with it. Shifts great and has held up so far. I went thru 2 stock T5's at around the 350 hp mark so let that be your guide. They would last for a while but that's it.

I was surfing craigslist yesterday and came across an ad for a T56/LT1 combo. Just for giggles, I wrote the guy and asked him if he would be interested in selling just the complete transmission. At first, he said no, but he had another T56 that needed to be reassembled for $600 (let me know if any of you are looking for one.) I told him no thanks, I was looking for a complete unit. He was a little weary, too many people saying they wanted this or that, and not coming up with cash. So I took a picture of me holding the cash and sent it to him saying I could come pick up today if it meant anything to him.

Long story short, he wanted $1200, but in the end....For $1000, not only did I get a T56 transmission...

I got a VIPER T56 good for 550ftlbs, LT1 bell housing, new racing clutch complete with pressure plate, performance lightened flywheel, and shifter....

SO!! No more worries about matching up to the !@#!%!% block, OR torque capacities!! As soon as I get the engine work done, it's a full bolt on. Just have to get the slave set up for hydrolics! I'm hyped!!