HybridZ

Radiator Options/where to buy?

1rad280

Sorry if this is a bit of a thread hijack (tho the subject is pretty vague ;), but has anyone evaluated electric fans vs belt driven? A couple of my mechanic buddies were pretty adamant that if I wanted to get the most power to the wheels possible, I should switch to an electric fan. Thier reasons were better cooling and less load on the engine. I am just wondering if it is a worthwhile swich since I am going to be getting a new rad anyway.

Au contraire. I was told specifically by Bill at Ron Davis Radiators that the stock fan with a shroud will cool better than just about any electric fan. (without a shroud) Truth is - you really don't need a fan once you're moving more than say 20mph. Mother Nature takes care of the cooling then.

From a power perspective - yeah, it is one more component to have to spin, so I could agree with that argument.

I am going to be converting over to a Spal fan here pretty soon (once I pay the Christmas bills!) and ditching the stock fan/clutch. The car was already wired for it, so I may as well use it.

I had and seen several Ron Davis radiators fail due to epoxy, that they swear is just used to cap off the end tanks and not as an actual means to glue there stuff together. (why hide it with silver spray paint)........

Anyways Ron Davis does not back up there product and cost 5 times as much as what you can find elsewhere. Smileys has one I use in my car now that just takes a little trimming and it has no epoxy. Its under $200