HybridZ

R200 Durability. Can it handle 400hp?

280z4me2

You'll want the 300zx turbo cv's out of the 84-89 300zx turbo, 280z stub axles, and the 300zx CV adaptors from http://www.modern-motorsports.com ... and yes, it will be fine w/ 400 RWHP. I went 8.91 on the R200 (LSD) w/ CV's and no breakage (somewhere between 750-800 rwhp according to horsepower/weight calculations)...

Guest Gr8White
I had plans to throw in a 302 that I have sitting around. I was about to start ordering parts for the build and the first thing on my mind has been a 347 stroker kit. This will push around 415hp and 440lbs torque. How would the R200 hold up?

I've got the Techno toy Q45 short nose R200 conversion in mine now, haven't hit the track yet (don't even have my wheels yet) but the conversion was almost a direct bolt in. All that I had to do was grind the slight bends on the part of the body that accepts the new Techno front mount (all of 2 minutes) and everything fits perfectly. I did the whole thing on a Saturday morning. I didn't want to take any chances- but if the long nose R200 can handle 8.90's and 800 hp, I'm impressed and it would probably be cheaper. The Q45 R200 conversion is not cheap but worth it in my opinion. The converted Moser axles that come with the kit are stout. It is slightly heavier but HP is the fix for that.

Get a 331, not the 347. If it's track only, fine- but if you are going to drive it, the 347 won't last long. Ask me how I know....Terrible rod/stroke ratio.

Sorry, that's off point but something to consider. Read up before you purchase!

I've got the Techno toy Q45 short nose R200 conversion in mine now, haven't hit the track yet (don't even have my wheels yet) but the conversion was almost a direct bolt in. All that I had to do was grind the slight bends on the part of the body that accepts the new Techno front mount (all of 2 minutes) and everything fits perfectly. I did the whole thing on a Saturday morning. I didn't want to take any chances- but if the long nose R200 can handle 8.90's and 800 hp, I'm impressed and it would probably be cheaper. The Q45 R200 conversion is not cheap but worth it in my opinion. The converted Moser axles that come with the kit are stout. It is slightly heavier but HP is the fix for that.

I too have gone to a Techno Toy Tuning rear end setup, but with an Armada 2.94 geared R230. It required a little more fabrication on my part, since I chose an oddball rear end (photos are in my signature), but it is much stouter than the long nose R200 stuff. I went to it, not because I broke any of the R200 parts, but I intended to make even more power and felt that the move was to eliminate the next weak link (which I thought to be the stub axles).

Lets not forget that all that are running the r-200 with cv are using auto trannys.

i was right in the 400 range with my rb26 with a twin plate clutch and kept breaking shafts. converted to cv axles then started breaking stub shafts.

the r200 can handle it the axles and stubs are the question mark especially with a clutch

Lets not forget that all that are running the r-200 with cv are using auto trannys.

i was right in the 400 range with my rb26 with a twin plate clutch and kept breaking shafts. converted to cv axles then started breaking stub shafts.

the r200 can handle it the axles and stubs are the question mark especially with a clutch

when you say you were breaking stubs after the cv upgrade was it "easy" to break them or only when dumping the clutch with sticky tires and launching?

I still use the U joint axels, but only with NISMO NLA soild U joints. The U joints last about a season of drag racing. Launching on nitrous with a sintered iron clutch tends to shock load drivetrain components, a NISMO clutch pack LSD is used and the 27 spline 280z stubs were shot peaned before installation. Never broke a stub launching on slicks just a occasional axel.I plan on converting to Porsche 930 CV`s and EMPI chromalloy axels as soon as the supply of soild U joint axels is exhausted.

Clint... If I remember correctly, you didn't use the 280z stubs... only the 240z stubs and the 280zx turbo stubs (since both had the same spline count), both of which are weaker than the 280z stubs...

Am I right? My memory is a little fuzzy about the details...