HybridZ

Cleaning up manifold

kcambron

I have a 1981 turbo engine and I'd like to swap a 1975 non EGR manifold for a cleaner look. I have two questions,first, I have a Greddy relief valve with about 1 1/4" threads tapped into the back of my present manifold(81) was this stock or tapped in? My 75 does not have this large hole. Second, I would like to saw off and polish a lot of the (standoffs) on my 75, will I get "into" the manifold if I do this?

Thanks!

I have shaved and smoothed several manifolds, 2 n42's. They are pretty simple to shave. You can grind down the linkage towers, almost all the bosses. I believe there are only a few that will actually go through the manifold. The 2 at the rear, one on the bottom, and one in the center between the runners. There might be a few more, I'd check.

As for the relief valve, Id consider a BOV so you dont need to drill a hole in the manifold.

The emergency relief valve & blow off valve serve two diff purposes:

Relief valve opens when stock boost levels rise above ~8psi (preventing over-boosting) if the wastegate fails. Technically you don't need it if you trust that your wastegate will always work.

BOV releases excess boost pressure once the TB snaps closed.

So... no, you don't "need" the relief valve, and yes you should use a bov.

• 9 months later...

Just to be clear. If i remove the pop off valve and install a BOV on myu intercooler pipping, would my BOV help me in case of a boost spike or my wastegate failing? Should i just re-route the air that the bov vented to the air that goes to the turbo after the AFM?

thanks alot

• 1 month later...

Well I've read a few of the posts about venting my bov back inbetween the afm and turbo. Espically how TonyD and Challenger explained it. I have a cheep e-bay bov as a trial one before I decide which type of bov I want to install. There are 3 openenings on it. 2 small ones. 1 which is fwd of the bov and the other at the aft of it. Then there is of course the large opening. With there being 3 openings on it, which one do i need to route down between the afm and turbo. Ive been running it with the bov venting to atmosphere and have been have issues with it stalling on me. So I removed the bov and capped it off. Car runs better but im afraid to go over 9 or 10 psi with out the bov or the pov. Mean while Ill keep searching for a pic of how the bov is routed.