HybridZ

found r200 lsd on ebay

zero

Here's his reply:

it was not factory installed rearend and it is lsd and it is a 3.73
So, I guess that sort of answers it. Very strange that he lists it as an 82 280ZX Turbo diff instead of the more accurate 87 300ZX turbo diff that it apparently is.

The guy says in his description that it has a new pinion.

Question from a differential newbie: Are not the ring gear and pinion sold as a match set?

I don't mean for gear ratio but rather for alignment.

I was told by a guy who I consider to an expert when it comes to anything car related that a pinion and ring gear are machined as a matched set. And that when you install a ring and pinion there is a number on the pinion that tells you what it's exact forward and aft position in relation to the ring gear should be. And that misalignment or a mismatched set could cause wear and/or strength problems.

Is this true, or has my friend had his head under the hoods of GTO's to long?

The Nissan LSD is called a 4 pinion unit. Instead of the typical 2 spider gears on a cross shaft, there are 4 short shafts each with a spider gear they call a "pinion" gear, which is correct but confusing.

OEM ring and pinions sometimes come as unrun, but alomost all aftermarket gear sets are run in on a machine and then marked with the correct installed pinion depth for the installer to use in the housing.

Your friend is correct, but this is still not to say your buddy hasn't spent too much time under the hood! :D I know I have...

Originally posted by SleeperZ:

So did anyone here believe him and buy it? I noticed someone called 240z_fool used the buy it now. Hope they didn't get a bill of goods.....

It was me. eek2.gif

I though I'd gamble a bit. bonk.gif

I'll let you know how it turns out.