HybridZ

Ceramic Coating Turbo - Opinions

24OZ

It might sound stupid but why does the darker color coating doesnt work as good ? isnt it all the same coating but with a color ?

It has to do with the way that different colors absorb or reflect infra-red energy. It's exactly the same effect that causes a black leather seat to get really hot when you set it in the sun.

Colors in any object work by absorbing some wavelengths (i.e. colors) and reflecting others. On one end of the scale, black absorbs everything and reflects nothing. On the other, white absorbs nothing and reflects everything.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a turbo guy but holding heat "in" the turbo is bad, isn't it?

No, its a good thing. heat = pressure = getting the turbine to spool faster. When air cools down it contracts or can slow down in tubing. We want as much hot air coming out as we can get. The hotter the better to a point. After the turbo, it can cool down, it already did the work that we needed it to do. Hope that made cense.

jimbo

No, its a good thing. heat = pressure = getting the turbine to spool faster. When air cools down it contracts or can slow down in tubing. We want as much hot air coming out as we can get. The hotter the better to a point. After the turbo, it can cool down, it already did the work that we needed it to do. Hope that made cense.

jimbo

Yes, it makes sense. Thank you.

It has to do with the way that different colors absorb or reflect infra-red energy. It's exactly the same effect that causes a black leather seat to get really hot when you set it in the sun.

Colors in any object work by absorbing some wavelengths (i.e. colors) and reflecting others. On one end of the scale, black absorbs everything and reflects nothing. On the other, white absorbs nothing and reflects everything.

Thank you very much !

• 6 months later...

both, color doesn't make a difference. The chrome can't go as high because the chrome is really aluminum particles, that is why when sprayed it looks really rough and you need a special vibratory tumbler to polish it and it won't take 2000, the reason they don't give color options at that temp, they would all discolor badly, even the black can lighten to a charcoal. I have coated the inside of the housing and had no tolerance issues and it should spool slightly faster because the edge gap has been decreased (I've done a few, but they are all different, your mileage may vary.) Don't spray heavy and don't get runs on the inside. The general idea has been said, ceramic keeps the heat in and flowing out verses radiating out to other parts and helping clear the exhaust chamber at high rpms. Jet-Hot is a company name they do ceramic coating and use the same as everyone else. There's only 2 places in the US that make the ceramic and both lines are almost identical. Let me know what they quote you. 8)

To give some an idea of what used headers look like after coating. I just did a set of square port Z headers for a project I'm working on. They were on E-Bay USED and I blasted them down smooth and coated them inside and out with 2000 degree Black Velvet ceramic. I finally remembered to get a before and after. The collectors get very hot so that is important especially on a 6 into 1 or a 3 -2.

Before:

ebayheader.jpg

After:

zheader1.jpg

zheader2.jpg

zheader3.jpg

I wanted to help clarify on the color heat/absorption comments. Emissivity is the benefit of shiny coatings. Flat or shiny a color does not affect heat transmission, only the ceramic. The color aids in reflecting and associated absorption. A color does not make it radiate more, only absorb more.

I had the inside and outside of my exhaust manifold, turbine housing and downpipe coated in flat black. I had no clearance or fitment issues with the inside of my turbine housing coated. Though this is on a 5.9L cummins turbo diesel

• 3 weeks later...