HybridZ

alternator upgrade zx

woldson

the zx alt swap is easy take off the old alternator regulator....then unbolt your alt....swap it with the zx alt....plug it up....then you'll need to make 2 small jumpers and bridge the yellow and white wire and then bridge the black w/ white stripe and white w/ black striped wire inside the old regulator connection....and if its a 240z then you have to sader in at least a 1 amp 50 volt diode inline with the bottom wire in the "T" connector or the car wont cut off with a key...if its a 280z then disregard the this last part.....if youve done all this then you either have a bad connection or bad alt. or battery.....oh and one thing that i found helpful was to go get some 8+ guage wire like car stereo wire and reground everything....cause honestly look at the ground on the back of the alt....that doesnt ground efficently....hope this helps

As naviathan stated: Z Specialties Inc.

206-363-3577

I purchased the 105 amp alternator for my 83 280zxt. Be sure that you use the belt that is suggested because if not, you could be stranded; the one that was used for my Zcar's engine rebuild broke and I was stranded. Helllllo!!! Called and found out that Napa #25-9345 was the belt that the company recommends. They ran tests and this one turned out to be the best. I carry a spare belt in my hatch area.

john

Pricy for me too. I've just have had so many problems with alternators dying in my zx's.

They did not like me coming in and taking advantage of the "lifetime" on that part.

One day at shucks they did not have there common alt, so little money upgraded to a bosch rebuilt. That is what I have today. Lasted the longest. SOOOO I'm guessing not enough output. (Remember, bigish stereo.)

Again... the reason to go GM-1 wire. 75-120amps for under $100. Unless you like spending more money. :D

Mabey I should have looked into that more.

I defininty was in a hurry, and needed a bolt on.

If that was the case, stupid me.

Yes I've placed order already.

So tell me, is it a bolt on gig? I can always search later.

EDIT... ^^^ Good find.

Mine is for a late 80's Camaro 305... 75amp. I paid $70 at AutoZone and turned in a burnt 280zx alt for the core. There are higher amp ones for a slightly higher price.

You can turn it upside down and fab a new top adjuster bracket, or cut the bottom of the alternator to fit the 280zx bottom bracket. Swap pulleys and you're done.

DSC05589.jpg

DSC05586.jpg

DSC05584.jpg

DSC05582.jpg