HybridZ

Alternator upgraded, now problems...

DeLorean

I just put in a new high output alternator from z specialties along with one of their belts. Now, from time to time the belt will slip (squeal) at the crank. It tends to happen mostly when the car is idling and you rev it up.

The belt is tight so that isn't the issue. I am in contact with the people from z specialties but I was hoping you guys might have some ideas. Can I get a smaller belt? They say that you can't run a stock belt on it so whatever belt I use needs to be stronger than stock.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot guys for the replies. I'll look into that gator belt too. I popped the hood and actually watched the belt slip at the crank. I'm now hearing from others that it could mean the pulley is bad? Haha, it's always something with this damn car...

dominic

I popped the hood and actually watched the belt slip at the crank. I'm now hearing from others that it could mean the pulley is bad? Haha, it's always something with this damn car...

dominic

See previous post:

How tight is "tight" ? On the longest side between pulleys, can you twist it very much?

but if the belt is squealing, it's almost always too loose.

Again... check the tension / tightness.

Thanks a lot guys for the replies. I'll look into that gator belt too. I popped the hood and actually watched the belt slip at the crank. I'm now hearing from others that it could mean the pulley is bad? Haha, it's always something with this damn car...

dominic

Interestingly enough, if the belt is too tight it can cause some binding in the alternator shaft which would cause the belt to slip at one or the other pulley. I'm with nismo, check the belt tension. It's very easy to under or over tighten these belts.