HybridZ

Undercoating

280z4me2

My 280z restoration is limited to what I can do at home with basic homeowner tools.

I would like to undercoat it while im in the process of restoring all of the suspension. It will have to be smooth enough for spraying out of a cheap spray gun. Needs to have strong adhesion, good rust prevention and durability.

What are some popular undercoats?

3m undercoating, it comes in aerosol can and is available at most stores where spray paint is sold. Works well, easy to use, made by 3m, and easily attainable. Be careful undercoating is sticky stuff, it does not like to come off.

Other name brands will work too, I just prefer 3m. I like the cans since it's easy to get it where you need it and great for touching up. Go check out what your local store has and try it out.

3m undercoating, it comes in aerosol can and is available at most stores where spray paint is sold. Works well, easy to use, made by 3m, and easily attainable. Be careful undercoating is sticky stuff, it does not like to come off.

Other name brands will work too, I just prefer 3m. I like the cans since it's easy to get it where you need it and great for touching up. Go check out what your local store has and try it out.

That's what I used for the interior and exterior of my project CRX. It goes on very smooth, and really helps with sound deadening in addition to rust prevention. Just make sure the paint beneath it isn't flaking, or the underbody coating will come off as well.

If you're looking for a good seal for ~5 years against salt and regular road wear (don't go running over lava or anything) I'd put money down on it. Any undercoating will need to be redone every few years, just from dust and debris from the road kicking up. I suggest that you get something inexpensive that will adhere well and seals completely (3m is my weapon of choice). I've had consistently good results with it; I just need to find a way to seal rocker panels and fenders effectively on a CRX. Undercoating really doesn't cover those areas very well.

3M 8964 chip guard is a much better choice than undercoating. Its paintable and designed to work in underbody areas. Undercoating or chip guard have no rust protective qualities. All rusty areas should be preferably sandblasted and coated with a zinc based epoxy primer,

3M 8964 chip guard is a much better choice than undercoating. Its paintable and designed to work in underbody areas. Undercoating or chip guard have no rust protective qualities. All rusty areas should be preferably sandblasted and coated with a zinc based epoxy primer,

Undercoating/chip guard work as a sealant, and merely prevent salt and water from collecting on steel. In that basic respect, they both help prevent rust.

The zinc coating is a great idea, but sounds like it'd be very expensive. I've used sacrificial zinc several times on several projects, but hadn't considered it on the underbody.

Undercoating is soft and rubbery and comes off hard for a reason. It serves a purpose. Just go with 3m undercoating it works and is easy to apply.

As long as your not driving on dirt roads @ 70mph you won't need to undercoat your card for a long while. Who drives their Datsun in the winter with salt? Use 3m undercoat and touch up as needed in further years.

The consumer grade Truck Bed Lining [e.g. Duplicolor, Herculiner...] is NOT the same grade/quality as the commercially applied product that is applied at places like LineX or Rhino Linings. I know from experience. It will NOT hold up as well as one would think....most specifically adhesion [even with properly prepped surface].

I am also a huge fan of 3M products. If you are concerned about quality from a rattle can, go to an autobody supply place and get 3M Schutz [undercoating]. It will need the special gun, it sprays out of a can/bottle, and you dispose of the gun [unless you clean it IMMEDIATELY]. If you don't have a compressor, perhaps a neighbor has one that they will loan you, OR you could rent a small one.

If you want it done RIGHT, that is my recommendation. Not the easiest, not the cheapest, but it will last.

FWIW

The consumer grade Truck Bed Lining [e.g. Duplicolor, Herculiner...] is NOT the same grade/quality as the commercially applied product that is applied at places like LineX or Rhino Linings. I know from experience. It will NOT hold up as well as one would think....most specifically adhesion [even with properly prepped surface].

I am also a huge fan of 3M products. If you are concerned about quality from a rattle can, go to an autobody supply place and get 3M Schutz [undercoating]. It will need the special gun, it sprays out of a can/bottle, and you dispose of the gun [unless you clean it IMMEDIATELY]. If you don't have a compressor, perhaps a neighbor has one that they will loan you, OR you could rent a small one.

If you want it done RIGHT, that is my recommendation. Not the easiest, not the cheapest, but it will last.

FWIW

I agree. 3M Schutz uses a special gun.... a very simple inexpensive gun, but it goes on quickly and will last a looooong time. Mine is going on 5 years with no separation.... I painted over the Schutz and some of that has separated.

g

I dont have road salt down here. Im really looking for something durable, rust preventive, and looks really good. I will give the 3M a shot.

Not having road salt put down on the street in your area is a good thing but will not keep rust from occuring. The moisture from the dew in the morning is enough to encourage the oxidation process. If the exterior of the car is wet with dew, so will be the inner panels and areas of the car .As stated before the best rust inhibiting material is an epoxy zinc based primer. Rustproofing, chip guard are only coatings that inhibit rock chipping and deaden sound.

What ever you do dont use bed liner coating . Many brands are not repairable and if you ever have to remove it , your best bet may be to throw the car away.

Just coating over unprotected metal with the chip guard /undercoating will produce pockets of oxidizing hot spots underneath the coating that will accelerate the rusting cycle. Just think about why the original Datsun panels rusted so quickly.

If undercoating was as good as some think it is, there would not be a rusty Z in existance.

• 2 weeks later...

I used POR 15 10 years ago, when I sandblasted my 240Z. It goes on easily dries to a glass like finish. Will change color when exposed to sun. Requires care when prepping for paint. If you are sloppy or don't follow instructions, you can expect paint applied over the top of POR 15, to delaminate. If you simply spray rattle can paint over the top, without preparation, as I have.... you can expect paint to delamination from the POR in about a year.

g