HybridZ

Limited Slip Stuff

Leith280zlt1

Hey guys. It's been a while since I've been very active on the forums. I'm about done with school now and I'd like to be more active in the Zcar community. I've decided to go ahead and start building differentials again. I'm not doing it for any profit really, maybe a bit of pocket change. What I can offer is the Power Brute limited slip unit in whatever gear ratio diff you want. It's about $600 for a new unit plus shipping. I've got several diffs at the shop now with various gear ratios. I know I've got a 3.54, 3.7 and 3.9 out there right now. I've also got a couple r180's. Don't know what gear ratios they are tho. The limited slip unit for the r180 is a bit cheaper but I'll have to call up Reider Racing to find out exactly how much it is. For the rebuild differential itself I charge $150. If you decide to send me your differential, I'll cut that down to $75. With the shipping both ways to anywhere in the Continental US it'll end up being about $750 to $800 total. I know it's expensive but so is the alternative. Finding a used LSD is very difficult and often you'll spend over $700 when you do find one, and then it's going to be a 3.7 gear ratio. You could order the unit on your own and install it yourself for about $650 with the shipping for the limited slip. It's really not that big of a deal to do the install. The benefit you get tho is that you get whatever gear ratio and *if* I run into problems with shimming or whatever, I have the capability to fix it. I'll also machine the bolt spacers for the ring gear when it's needed. So, if anyone is interested, I'm in Gainesville Tx if your wondering about shipping. If you have any questions about the quality of work I do you can ask some of the members in the forums for a recommendation. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions.

Well, here's the deal. Reider Racing is no longer in business. They shut their doors about a year ago. The company that bought them and all their inventory can still get those units but there is a minimum amount that they have to order. I'm already set up as a distributor. What I'm going to do is buy the minimum amount (10) to have them shipped from overseas. The only downside now is that I have to pay for the freight from overseas. I don't know yet what that will cost. I know I can get rid of 10, I'm not going to get any more than that at this time. We'll see how fast they go since no one else is selling them. I'll keep you guys posted.

Well, here's the deal. Reider Racing is no longer in business. They shut their doors about a year ago. The company that bought them and all their inventory can still get those units but there is a minimum amount that they have to order. I'm already set up as a distributor. What I'm going to do is buy the minimum amount (10) to have them shipped from overseas. The only downside now is that I have to pay for the freight from overseas. I don't know yet what that will cost. I know I can get rid of 10, I'm not going to get any more than that at this time. We'll see how fast they go since no one else is selling them. I'll keep you guys posted.

The story from former member "Mike" was that the factory in Japan burned down. Mike had tried to organize a group buy on these units and it ended up falling through. I wouldn't give up though, it could be that Mike handled the group buy so badly that they just gave him a line of BS to get rid of him.

The guy I talked to said everything was a go right now. He told me the prices on the units themselves but didn't know about shipping. He sounded very optimistic and definitely sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I'm gonna keep with it and make sure everything is still fine, I'll let you know if anything changes tho. I've been getting quite a few calls about LSD's so I know people need 'em. The sales rep did say that it would be a minimum of 45 days before they were ready to be shipped. Keep your fingers crossed I guess.

Since we've had these LSD group buys fall apart before, make sure you are truly able to deliver on this before asking for any money. Please do your research and perform a lot of due diligence on the vendor you're choosing to work with. Also, please make sure you are up to the communication and follow-up demands necessary to get this done and be ready to step up and and immediately fix problems when they come up. No excuses.

Read the Rota wheel group buy thread to get an idea of the work you're committing yourself to.

Of course I wouldn't ask for money before ordering these things. In the past I wouldn't even have people pay me directly. They would order the limited slip unit themselves and then have reider drop ship it to me for the install. So, I'll make sure I either have them in my hand or have a tracking number before taking orders. This time around, I've got the capital to buy the units myself before trying to make a sale. And like I said before, I'm really not trying to make money on this. It's just I see a lot of need for these things and it's a good way for me to contribute to the Zcar community and still make a little pocket change on the side for the installs. I hope this doesn't fall through this time around. I'm fairly confident everything's just fine. The main reason I quit doing this before was because it was just as easy for people to order them from reider racing and figure it out themselves as it was for them to go through me. I'll just have to play it out and see what happens.

Edit:

Also, I'd like everyone to keep this in mind. This is NOT my primary source of income by any means. I design and manufacture automotive machinery with my Father and this is completely on the side. I don't want people to get the wrong idea about this. I have the shop and resources to do a good job, but I'm not a customer service rep by any means. I'll do my best to keep this thing as professional as possible and I WILL make sure whoever I deal with is happy in the end. The only thing I can't promise is that there will be any sort of time line for getting one of these things out the door. At the very latest (once I actually have the LS units of course) it'll be a couple weeks before I can get one all cleaned up and shipped. I hope everyone is ok with that.

This is the reply I recieved from the Sales executive concerning the factory being "destroyed".

"Hi Larkin,

Thanks so much for your help this afternoon. I'd like you to make sure everything is still ok in Japan. What I'm hearing from some of the customers is that the factory in Japan had problems during an earthquake last year an lost everything. They have told me that these units aren't available any more since the factory wasn't going to re-tool the factory for these units. Is that true? Apparently this is what a few people heard from Reider Racing last year. Thanks alot!"

"From what I am hearing, there are no delays with any of the factories that we are using. I am being told that these are ready to be ordered and manufactured.

Larkin Wood II

lwood@omix-ada.com

Sales Executive

Omix-Ada, Inc."

If you're basing that comment on the JNJ guys' wheelstand picture, they use a welded diff, not an LSD. The 300ZX diff has a bad rep for stripping the clutches above 300 hp and then functioning as an open diff, but they only had the one active clutch disk per side. I haven't heard numbers for the Power Brute LSD, but handling 500+ wouldn't surprise me at all.

• 3 weeks later...