HybridZ

Home Audio

clint78z

I lived without a stereo for five years, save for what I want. I would rather listen to nothing, than buy something I am not pleased with.

Bought a set of B&W 685's and a sweet Rotel RSX-1057 reciever to power them. I would say that half the people would not be impressed with this, but the warm rich sound is like someone is in the room singing to me. I can't believe B&W put that tweeter in a moderately priced bookshelf. I have a new found love for the old Dire Straits, I had no idea of they were mixed that well. Time to dig out some Pink Floyd, Van Morrison, Cat Stevens, a little Diana Krall, Metallica to crank it up a notch. Any good songs you like to test your system?? I will add a small sub later to pick up some of the low's, don't want to muddy those 685's. Any recomendations??

What does everyone run here for high end gear ??

You have a nice system!!

I'm running a basic stereo stepped metal film attenuator splitting the signal into an old Forte Model 4 powering a pair of Martin Logan ESL's and into a Behringer DCX2496 x-over w/ EQ driving a Behringer EP2500 for the bass drivers. I may have to re-insert the Forte F-44 preamp for the gain stages though.

Make sure your sub be adjusted down to 50hz.

I like to feel my music.

Balence is important, and most uprights just don't quite get that clean of a low toned note.

Most have to carry upto 800 to 1200hz to the mid.

So to have that nice twange of that base gartar, or rolling bass through Enja you just got to get down to those deep lows.

Now as for movies, nothing like feeling that helicoptors rotos in your but dyno.

Or Sci-fi explosions to get you motivated.

My sub sits be hind my couch, DO not limit your listening entertainment to how the room looks. Make the room work for your stereo!

I appreciate a good deep note, as long at is quite clear. Usually the problem with larger woofers is they aren't tight enough. The 685 have an impressive 6 1/2" woofer, I think a 12" would be overkill in a small room. It will make the proper notes, but I can usual detect a gap in the transition between the mid/bass and a 12" sub. A high power 10" with extra throw might be the ticket.

I have an old Oz 12" passive I may throw on the center channel and see what it sounds like. It was quite the technology when it came out, fs was 18hz. It will hit the lows, when given some power. I think it will be too much, we shall see?? I plan to get some demos to try out at home.

Thanks for the great suggestions, I will research the gear you guys have. I have been out of the loop for a while.

I bought a full set of 5.1 speakers from Axiom Audio (Epic 60's) in Canada about six years ago. Driven by an Onkyo 700watt surround receiver they shake the house and project an incredible soundstage. For movies (5.1) I would rate them a 9.8 out of ten, and in pure stereo, left,right,and sub, I would rate them about a 9.0 out of ten. They are aluminum and titanium cones, so they tend to appear a slightly too cold and crisp for warmer types of music like, blues. This is what makes them shine in movies though. Every detail is there. I just bought a Jazz CD, which has one of the best recordings I have ever heard, based on a reccommendation from my cousin, who is a Jazz drummer and knows the studio. He was blown away by the speakers.

I balanced the system using realtraps frequency generating CD. You can download it for free to tune your crossovers and to arrange the speakers to minimize echo and bass cancellation in the listening spot. I am in the process of building some acoustic panels and bass traps for the room to even out a few holes in the bass frequencies due to room shape/size.

This is a shot from a few years back after I finished building my extension, before I installed doors in the back bedroom.

95736114_GDcTF-L.jpg

Well done on the B&Ws. I tell everyone about B&Ws now that I have mine.

I haven't heard the new 600 series, but if they are anything like the last series, then they are a bargain for what you get.

I posted my stereo in this link

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=142476

My recommendations for good recordings would be (sorry these are all going to be Jazz, use to listen to Rock, but the Jazz music is just so well recorded) Diana Krall - Live in Paris and Montreal Jazz festival (Incredible concerts), Robbie Williams - Sing when your swinging (Don't judge a book by its cover, it is an awesome recording), Jane Monheit, James Morrison (Awesome Trumpet), Joe Chindano (great piano).

Nice system...I run a NAD wth Paradym speakers. Most people opt for super high watts and all sorts of receiver bells and whistles but does not always result in the best sound. Speakers are of course of ultimate importance but without a good clean source the best speaker will sound like crap.

My sub is behind the couch as well....I love it when the foam vibrates!

I am a poor college kid so here is what I run on the cheap and I think it sounds stellar.

1. Onkyo 7.1 Receiver 'TX-SR504'

2. 2 x Boston Acoustic CR6 (5.25" Woofer, .75" Tweeter)

3. 2 x Sharp 4" Mid

4. 2 x Sharp CP9570P (12" Woofer, 4" Mid, 3" Tweeter)

5. 1 x MTX SW1 10" 100w Subwoofer

All in all I paid $230 for this setup. $100 for the receiver, $50 for the sub, $80 for the sharp speakers and the Bostons were hand me downs. I then spent an additional $60 in speaker wire to actually make the whole thing 'work'. It is not a studio quality experience I am sure, but it sounds pretty awesome to my ears and everyone that comes over enjoys the sound. This setup in conjunction with my ~9ft by 6ft projected video screen really brings you into the movie experience.

I am currently building a second subwoofer for parties primarily, but it will sit between the two main speakers under the projected screen... conceivably it could just stand up in the corner of the room, but I think I would have to secure it somehow. The specs read:

Freq Range 26hz-200hz (-3db)

Drivers: 880 watt RMS, 1760 watt peak

Max SPL at 100 watts - 130db

Amplifier: 1024 watt RMS

8 x 10" Subwoofers

4 x 4" Mid Bass (the sub will also serve as a center speaker...)

4 x 3" Tweeters (the sub will also serve as a center speaker...)

Outside dimension... 96"x30"x24". Approximate weight... 400lbs.

Untitled-2-12.jpg

Untitled-4-3.jpg

Untitled-6-1.jpg

I have about $750 invested in this bad boy. Hopefully it doesn't sound like crap when I am done. =]

To answer the OP's question about test songs... Well... I like to test with:

Trentemoller - Moan (Trentemoller Remix)

Chemical Brothers - Bass Test

SebastiAn - Walkman (Re-Edit)

Benny Benassi - Light

Realistically though the best way to test these things is to play a wide range of genres and a large quantity of songs at a good volume. That way you will see where the 'holes' are. Or you could buy/download a signal generator to send the speakers different frequencies. That plus a db meter would tell you some things.

Nice home built stuff! I built a lot of speaker enclosures for home and auto in my college days as well.

To get a scientific picture of your setup, download this:

http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm

You can find the sound holes roughly by ear, or you can go buy a cheap dB meter.

If you want to test with some tight drums, chilling sax, and rich acoustic bass, check out some Manu Katché.

"I am currently building a second subwoofer for parties primarily, but it will sit between the two main speakers under the projected screen... conceivably it could just stand up in the corner of the room, but I think I would have to secure it somehow. The specs read:

Freq Range 26hz-200hz (-3db)

Drivers: 880 watt RMS, 1760 watt peak

Max SPL at 100 watts - 130db

Amplifier: 1024 watt RMS

8 x 10" Subwoofers

4 x 4" Mid Bass (the sub will also serve as a center speaker...)

4 x 3" Tweeters (the sub will also serve as a center speaker...)

Outside dimension... 96"x30"x24". Approximate weight... 400lbs.

I have about $750 invested in this bad boy. Hopefully it doesn't sound like crap when I am done."

What kind of drivers are you using? Are the 4" divers closed back? How are you wiring it ? Mono, Stereo or LCR?

What are you doing for crossovers? That thing needs wheels!

"I will add a small sub later to pick up some of the low's, don't want to muddy those 685's. Any recomendations?? "

HORN SUBWOOFER

Here is a idea to give you a little "Low End"

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm

Best album to "break in" some new speakers!

fatboys.jpg

Nice start!

I like to listen to a lot of different music, but like Holly Cole (Don't Smoke in Bed is one) and One Stanley Clark album - East River Drive.

I have Martin Logan Quest speakers driven by an OCM 500 amp, my surround speakers are driven by an Aragon 8008x3. They are all Definitive Technology speakers.

My Preamp/Processor is an Acurus ACT3 with the 7.1 upgrade.

Nice start!

I like to listen to a lot of different music, but like Holly Cole (Don't Smoke in Bed is one) and One Stanley Clark album - East River Drive.

I have Martin Logan Quest speakers driven by an OCM 500 amp, my surround speakers are driven by an Aragon 8008x3. They are all Definitive Technology speakers.

My Preamp/Processor is an Acurus ACT3 with the 7.1 upgrade.

You like Martin Logan,iether you love them or you hate them.No problem,speakers are very personal,don't mess with another mans speakers. I love Stanley Clark, my East River Drive cd got stolen from my Honda along with some Spyro Gyra bastards.

You like Martin Logan,iether you love them or you hate them.No problem,speakers are very personal,don't mess with another mans speakers. I love Stanley Clark, my East River Drive cd got stolen from my Honda along with some Spyro Gyra bastards.

I have a pair of ML Monoliths that I wouldn't trade away for the world. Detail and imaging are outstanding. I don't judge them by their appearance nor by certain specs which, though more useful than amplifier spec criteria, are often useless in real-world terms. I trust my ears.:-D

Great systems guys, always like to hear about everyones different setups. I did a test drive on subs last weekend, compared Definative super cube against the B&W ASW 610. The definative is impressive for the size of cabinet. Hands down smoothness goes to B&W, I am sure there are way cheaper one with big punch. I just enjoy the smoothness of bass notes, I want to each chord on the bass.

I used Sarah Mcglaughin Sufacing CD to test a Bass riff

Godsmack Voodoo is a another good one.

I previewed Holly Cole, sounds very nice.

I found this forum I really like

http://www.htguide.com/forum/

You may want to consider an infinite baffle install if it's feasible in your home. Look here... http://ibsubwoofers.com/

An IB setup doesn't work in my house due to the vaulted ceilings because there's no attic space above the listening area. But IB is by far my first choice. Transmission lines are nice but they can be HUGE and they're not easy to design. I'm using dipole subs with the mains for critical listening and 18" sealed subs for home theater LEF.