HybridZ

My 1972 240z

its actually stamped inside the engine bay on the firewall above the brake booster

Boy oh Boy, now I am pissed. All 3 data plates, drivers door, dash and wheel well all match. They say "HLS30-58465". The stamped number on the firewall says "HLS30-295122":x

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

280Z then, sorry to hear about the case of mistaken (or fradulent) identity. I feel for you a bit because I bought my Z with a front sump L24E. At the time I didn't know how to tell the difference externally, and the seller didn't divulge anything.

So sorry bud. I'd say give the guy who sold it to you a call. Find out where he got it from. If he got it from someone else you're probably just screwed cause he may have told you what he'd been told.

If it soulds like he knew what was up i'd threaten his A$$. Tell him you want your cash back as well as your travel time. Tell him you know what's up and that your thinking about calling the cops. Pretty darn illegal to switch VIN plates like that.

If you bought it off ebay you may be able to get your cash back that way. Act fast though.

Most likely though your out your cash and learned a good lesson.

Wow! I just looked at this Z back at the beginning of Jan. The guy's name was Luke right? I was looking at the pictures and everything started to look familiar. I hope your fix goes better than finding out it was a 280Z.

Here are some pictures I took of it too

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k89/speciallyspiked/71%20240Z%20Jan%201%202009/

The majority of the parts were in a van right? I think he might have switched the VINs cause he was telling me about junking another 240Z where he got a lot of the spare parts off.

Boy oh Boy, now I am pissed. All 3 data plates, drivers door, dash and wheel well all match. They say "HLS30-58465". The stamped number on the firewall says "HLS30-295122":x
Congrats on the purchase of your '76 280z! However, I bet you'd be happier if it was sold as such, lol.

If I were you though, I'd get all that straightened out so you won't get in any legal trouble.

Wow! I just looked at this Z back at the beginning of Jan. The guy's name was Luke right? I was looking at the pictures and everything started to look familiar. I hope your fix goes better than finding out it was a 280Z.

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k89/speciallyspiked/71%20240Z%20Jan%201%202009/

The majority of the parts were in a van right? I think he might have switched the VINs cause he was telling me about junking another 240Z where he got a lot of the spare parts off.

That is definitely the same car!! Check out the pictures you each have of the passenger rocker rust!

Awww man... and he said he had a 240 he was parting out!!!

Oh yeah, i'd be calling him up and threatening his A$$!!!

Tell him you know for sure it's not a 240 and that you have a witness that saw the car previoulsy and told you about the 240 he had parted out!

actually, his name is Luke, alot of the parts were in his van at the apartment complex and he drove a Camaro without a title too... Its amazing that you saw the same car too =]. lol

TITLE 18—CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

511. Altering or removing motor vehicle identification numbers

(a) A person who— (1) knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters an identification number for a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part; or

(2) with intent to further the theft of a motor vehicle, knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act,

shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

18 U.S.C. § 512 provides that, with certain exceptions, a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part that has a falsified or removed identification number is subject to seizure and forfeiture.

Ok, A few questions?

1. If I do a VIN check through my local Police using the proper vin from the firewall. It comes back as not stolen. Can I then get a LEGAL salvage title for it?

2. What do I do about the vin plates?

3. Or do I not involve the PD and just part out for what I can and get back a few of my $$$. Then just cut up and scrap the shell.

BTW, thank you to all that have helped out so far!!

That sucks man, sorry to hear about your troubles. First, I would check the real vin with the police. The denver police where you picked it up. If it is stolen, they can tell you what to do and will arrest him. If not, and he actually legally owns the car, you will be able to get a replacement pink slip. Either way, you should probably report it.

I would run the firewall VIN ASAP. IF dirty, call the police ASAP! If clean demand your money back. He sold you a 240Z you got a 280Z that is fraud.

Upon refund he can give you the car or he can tow it away. It is only $200 here, if I was in his shoes I would give you the money and the car and walk away free.

I would run the firewall VIN ASAP. IF dirty, call the police ASAP! If clean demand your money back. He sold you a 240Z you got a 280Z that is fraud.

Upon refund he can give you the car or he can tow it away. It is only $200 here, if I was in his shoes I would give you the money and the car and walk away free.

OK, the BIG question. Say the vin# on the firewall comes back clean from the police. This car DOES NOT HAVE the correct vin plates. They are for a 240z. Can I get this car legal with NO vin# but the one stamped into the firewall? Can you buy certified replacement vin plates?

Or do I just part out the car and try to make a few $$ back. Hood, Rear hatch and windows are good. Maybe a few other odds and ends.

OK, the BIG question. Say the vin# on the firewall comes back clean from the police. This car DOES NOT HAVE the correct vin plates. They are for a 240z. Can I get this car legal with NO vin# but the one stamped into the firewall? Can you buy certified replacement vin plates?

Or do I just part out the car and try to make a few $$ back. Hood, Rear hatch and windows are good. Maybe a few other odds and ends.

I believe you CAN get replacement VIN plates, since my 240z didn't come with a door jamb plate. I searched classiczcars.com, probably for something along the lines of "replacement door jamb plate" or something, and eventually found a thread where someone linked to a site that sold them.

I know he moved from California so it might not necessarily be stolen from Denver. But I suggest talking to the Police as well.

Dad here. I am going to have the local PD run the vin#. After that I will have fun with the fool in Denver. I am sure police will be called there. along with an address of him and info reguarding the other camero he drives with no title. I am also going to see what he says about returning my $200. Or he can talk to the lawyers. Maybe I can send him a card at the local state run bunk house!

I have learned a lesson though. Don't trust ANYONE! Luckly it was only $200 if it is lost. Life will go on.

1 last question. The local cops are coming by in the morning. They say that there is 1 more vin hidden under the car somewhere. They would not send a patrol over now because it has to be a certified vin inspector to run the vin to verify and check it. Of coarse that cop is not there till saturday morning. Is he right that there is a hidden vin under the car somewhere? He said only certified people know where this is.

1 last question. The local cops are coming by in the morning. They say that there is 1 more vin hidden under the car somewhere. They would not send a patrol over now because it has to be a certified vin inspector to run the vin to verify and check it. Of coarse that cop is not there till saturday morning. Is he right that there is a hidden vin under the car somewhere? He said only certified people know where this is.
I've never heard of such a thing, but I asked someone, and apparently this is true for pretty much any car. I've got my 280z completely stripped, so I would think I would have seen it by now, but I guess not, although it must be on something that can't be replaced (like the unibody) in a place somewhat easily accessed.

Waiting for someone else to chime in, since I'm curious now.

Yah I'm curious too.....too bad they don't have a build date there too because my door plate was missing on my '72.

Greg

You can still find out what the build date of your car is. Lots of other things in the car are date stamped in some way. If I remember correctly, a few things are the steering wheel, rear view mirror, seatbelts, etc. I forget if I found the info on this site or on classiczcars, but it's out there (and HS30-H probably posted it - just a wild guess). I believe I used the seat belts to find out when my 240z was built.