HybridZ

????? for tranny gurus

stony

ok here we go im looking for something for the RB. the rodshop in austrailia makes an adapter for a th350/400. I would like to know what i need as far as upgrades so the tranny withstand 450-500 HP. I want to do the tranny before i backhalve the car jsut to see if i can get it into the 10s.

Also what can i expect to pay for something like this....I want to run a 3000-4000 stall this should help the turbos get spooled for launch

stony rockon.gif

In my experience with TH350, it's not the HP that kills the tranny, but RPM. If you turn the motor 6200 rpm you should have no troubles with a street/strip built TH350, if you turn it 6800 rpm plus that may not be the case.I had LOTSof problems with the mechanical governer braking. After breaking 4 in a year including a full manual valve body trans that had a front pump failure (in a school zone of all things!)I solved my troubles by going to a Super T10 4 speed :D The TH400 is significantly stronger but also penalizes you with a dramatic weight increase and power consumption. If memory serves, it takes 18 hp to just rotate the weight of a powerglied in top gear, 35 hp for a TH350 and 48 hp for a TH400. This pales in comparison to the 60 hp for a Ford C6, but shows a top end advantage to the 10 hp it requires for a manual trans inertia. With the weight of a Z and the torque of your turbo motor, you can probably pull off a glide. I believe you want your converter to flash about 200 rpm shy of your torque peak. A well built TH350 should set you back about $500 locally and $550 for a TH400, more if you add an aftermarket sprag (recommended)Figure at least 300 for a 3500 rpm converter, more for a strip only type. TH350/400 use the same converter, but a powerglide is different, but aftermarket ones are available with a TH350 style input shaft. If you mail order a trans, a Hughes seems the way to go. TCI seems to have a high failure rate (at least in their OD trans that I know people who have bought) B&M seems OK and Summit has their TH350 for $900 w/out core.