HybridZ

Yet another spring question, where to find what you want

Once again after looking around I cant seem to find what im looking for. Im not concerned much with what rates or what have you, but a question has come to mind. I constantly see recommendations for this and that front spring rates with this and that rear spring rates.

But my question is where is everyone finding these spring rates? and with what brands? Ive found a handfull of coilover kits that let you choose the springs size/weight easily enough. Does anyone offer this same choice selection for someone who doesnt want to run coilovers or am i SOL?

Thanks everyone

I'm not sure I'm completely following your question but I think your asking what type of springs are talked about when we specify rates and lengths. The most common are 2.5 inch coil over style springs (although you don't have to have coilovers) just a flat perch top and bottom. These can be found just about anywhere that sells racing parts. Good brands are eibach and hypercoil and you'll find there are tons of companies that make these.

Hope that helps,

Cary

Does anyone offer this same choice selection for someone who doesnt want to run coilovers or am i SOL?

No, you're pretty much SOL. The stiffest combo I've been able to find is the Tokico drop springs for the 280z. If you use them on a 240 you just cut them for the desired ride height, which will stiffen them up a little as well. I did something like that, giving me 200lb/in. front and 215lb/in. rear.

I hear it's possible to use 2.5" springs with modified stock perches, but come on, that's pretty hack. It's definitely the wrong way to do it.

Pretty hack? Come on now :P A spring is a spring to my knowledge they all do the same job, quality aside, right?. Im just trying to think outside the box and find a way to get a better selection of spring rates, without the cost and use of coilover perches/set ups.

Coilovers are great, but theyre not magical. They just allow ride height adjustment. You can (in my understanding and experience) do more harm than good with them with a bad height adjustment unless you get the corners weighted. Then add in the fun of modifying them to work properly on the car. All of this is money time and more money.

I guess what Id like to find out now is if it is possible to run coilover springs on our stock strut perches without modification or is there some type of spacer/adapter we can use at the ends of the springs to get them to seat properly. Is this the best setup? Nope. But imo, its a great alternative for the price. Springs for coilovers from what ive shopped around so far are about 200'ish, with shocks ranging in the 3-400 range. This gives us a spring/shock combo in the 700 dollar range that just goes on and gives us a wide choice of spring rates. Instead being stuck with whatever eibach thinks you should use, or azc thinks you should use, or tokico thinks you should use, etc.

You need a custom upper spring seat and then something flat for the bottom. If you can weld then you shouldn't have too much of a problem making this work. If you can't then the cheaper alternative may be to get coilover collars that have solved this problem for you.