HybridZ

Itunes Converter

JSM

My son showed me how to use the Itunes program to do this, I do not remember how. It is in there some where.

If you've imported from a purchased physcial CD then you can convert back from M4P to MP3, however, if you've purchased from Itunes, M4P, then you can not convert to MP3, unless you rip to CDs. :(

Apple is suppose to be removing the DRm from their music in the very near future so there is probably a way to do it within iTunes already. (Of course the CD burn and rip method is what I always did)

Fat chance lol. they want you to pay and redownload the non DRM version. :P

The way you do this from within iTunes is to burn your iTunes purchased music to a disc (or use a program that will do this virtually without involving your cd drive at all by sort of fooling iTunes into thinking that it is) first. Then you go to Edit->Preferences->General->then click the Import Settings button. In the drop down tab labeled "import using:", select MP3 Encoder. Then, re-import the music to your computer. Now, instead of being DRM encoded M4P files, they'll be MP3s. Good to go.

The way you do this from within iTunes is to burn your iTunes purchased music to a disc (or use a program that will do this virtually without involving your cd drive at all by sort of fooling iTunes into thinking that it is) first. Then you go to Edit->Preferences->General->then click the Import Settings button. In the drop down tab labeled "import using:", select MP3 Encoder. Then, re-import the music to your computer. Now, instead of being DRM encoded M4P files, they'll be MP3s. Good to go.

Uh, it doesn't matter if its imported as a mp3 or m4a file. itunes doesn't encode DRM. DRM is only in files (yes files. Applies to movies/videos too) purchased through itunes. SO it doesn't matter what format its imported.

BTW for those with iphones. I know of a way to crop and convert songs into ringtones free, just using itunes :P. (the "create ringtones" feature doesn't work :P).

1.In itunes, right click the song you want to convert -> get info -> options. 2.Mess with the start/stop timing for the part you want to be your ringtone (doesn't crop the actual file).

3.preview it by just clicking ok and playing the song.

4.Once you have it the way you want it, right click -> "Convert to AAC".

5.find the converted song (I check by right clicking and going to get info again, then summary. it should say AAC in "kind" section), drag it to the desktop. delete the "AAC" one in itunes.

6.The one on the desktop. rename the file from ********.m4a to ********.m4r.

Then just drag and drop in the ringtone section of itunes.

Remember to go back to the original one and changing the start/stop back :P

*** If you want, let say the whole song (longer than 30sec), itunes won't let you use it as a ringtone... unless you delete the original song from itunes. Then you can add the ringtone. I just move the song somewhere, delete it from itunes, drop the ringtone in, and drop the song back in :P

Uh, it doesn't matter if its imported as a mp3 or m4a file. itunes doesn't encode DRM. DRM is only in files (yes files. Applies to movies/videos too) purchased through itunes. SO it doesn't matter what format its imported.

Perhaps I misread the original post, I thought we were attempting to get iTunes purchased music to work on something that was not an iPod from within iTunes itself. The procedure I described DOES allow you to take a song purchased through iTunes and play it on a non-iPod (like an LG Glimmer phone, for instance) device by only using built-into-iTunes functionality. iTunes won't export it's files as a non-encoded MP3, but it WILL re-import them as such. I've done it, you're welcome to try it and see or not.

Perhaps I misread the original post, I thought we were attempting to get iTunes purchased music to work on something that was not an iPod from within iTunes itself. The procedure I described DOES allow you to take a song purchased through iTunes and play it on a non-iPod (like an LG Glimmer phone, for instance) device by only using built-into-iTunes functionality. iTunes won't export it's files as a non-encoded MP3, but it WILL re-import them as such. I've done it, you're welcome to try it and see or not.

Max, I was aware of the process but it waste so many discs and is a PITA.

I realized yesterday that I can plug my Blackberry into my PC, start this program and drag n drop from the menu on to my phone. I don't even have to convert to MP3 first, it does it on the fly.

This program is really cool.

Fat chance lol. they want you to pay and redownload the non DRM version. :P

It seems that they're either only releasing new albums as non-DRM (ie: iTunes Plus) or they're VERY SLOWLY converting all their libraries to non-DRM. It probably depends on the record company and terms of agreement.

If you enable the "Kind" option in iTunes, it'll show what is and isn't a DRM protected file. If it is protected, it'll say Protected AAC. If it isn't, it just says Purchased AAC or something similar. If it's protected, you have to burn it or use a 3rd party application to convert it back to MP3. If it is of the type "Purchased", you can just convert it to MP3 in iTunes. I hope that makes sense.

Most media players (that you would actually want to playback music on) can play back non DRM music (AAC = m4a) already. Its already a standardized file format. Heck even xbox can play that back :P

Max, I was aware of the process but it waste so many discs and is a PITA.

I realized yesterday that I can plug my Blackberry into my PC, start this program and drag n drop from the menu on to my phone. I don't even have to convert to MP3 first, it does it on the fly.

This program is really cool.

it's definitely cumbersome, just figured I'd throw it out there as an alternative to buying software (though if you're not using CD-RWs, and you had a lot of protected music to convert, you may end up spending as much in discs as you would on a program).