HybridZ

Cool pre-WWII racing plane resource

veritech-z

Ok, I know I'm getting this thread a bit off topic, but I can't help but share this. Hopefully you guys will appreciate it, especially if you're into the Japanese animation thing. I found it several months back while searching WWII aircraft clips on youtube.

The plot is Axis-centric (but not "evil"), and (even if there was no sound, and you didn't know it was animated/produced/written in Japan) obviously shares a heavily Japanese point of view. And some plot elements are a bit out there. However, it is the most beautifully animated clip of WWII planes I have ever seen, with incredible attention to detail. I really enjoyed it, and if it wasn't so damn hard to find a copy of it I would own it. The "movie" is divided into 3 parts about 9 minutes each. Enjoy.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anybody gets a chance you need to go to the reno air races. Usally in september. The only place you will see p-51s and like aircraft 100 feet off the ground flat out around pylons. You also can get up close with a pit pass. Lots of old planes and some good stunt flying.

The mention of Red Bull and their plane shenanigans reminded me of their warbird collection. I'm not sure how I feel about them painting them up in the new Red Bull livery, but at least they keep them flying.

RedBullMig17Banking.jpg

the one one that really had me all weirded out was the P-38. There aren't that many left in flying condition, so it seems like having one of them be done up like an energy drink is kind of....like putting a V-8 in a classic japanese sports car? I guess from that perspective, they own it, let them do what they want...

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/red-bull-p-38-lightning/549427660

Oh man, so some of you guys also play IL2:46? If any of you guys fly on hyperlobby, my callsign there is the same as here.

You know, now that you mention it, I may have seen you on there at one point, but my memory can be defective sometimes. Last time I went online in that game was at least a year ago, and I was having trouble keeping up with everyone else who had near mastered the in game physics (I had barely taken off the "training wheels" of the more realistic flight options). Still, even though I spent most of my time getting shot to pieces, my crowning achievement was when I dropped a well placed bomb onto someone who had just respawned on the runway and was trying to get airborne. :-)

You know, now that you mention it, I may have seen you on there at one point, but my memory can be defective sometimes. Last time I went online in that game was at least a year ago, and I was having trouble keeping up with everyone else who had near mastered the in game physics (I had barely taken off the "training wheels" of the more realistic flight options). Still, even though I spent most of my time getting shot to pieces, my crowning achievement was when I dropped a well placed bomb onto someone who had just respawned on the runway and was trying to get airborne. :-)

Yah, that's always fun. When I'm feeling bored I'll fly some early war plane with just a pair of pop guns and just circle the enemy airfield at ~200m, and just shoot up people on takeoff...until someone comes by with a late war 109 or Lavochkin from another airfield to ruin my fun.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steve Wolfe in Creswell OR built the Gee Bee Racer that is flying airshows. Last time I spoke with him, (several years ago) he was doing wing spars for a Hughes H-1 replica. He also built my favorite plane in the universe, the Pitts Sampson.

As for the P-38 there were two of them restored here In Medford by Jack Erickson who owened Erickson Aircrane. I have tons of pics during the restoration. He also has a great collecion of warbirds in a museum in Tillamook OR. Several years ago while I was hanging out at his hanger, an older man walked up and asked if there was a BFR-109 there. I said sure and took him over to where it was being stripped to be restored. He looked at me and said, "You know, I have 4000 hours in one of those."

as I was picking my jaw up off the ground, he pointed at Jack,s Mk VIII spitfire, and said "Those gave us a really hard time." True story, honest to God.

• Administrators
Steve Wolfe in Creswell OR built the Gee Bee Racer that is flying airshows. Last time I spoke with him, (several years ago) he was doing wing spars for a Hughes H-1 replica. He also built my favorite plane in the universe, the Pitts Sampson.

As for the P-38 there were two of them restored here In Medford by Jack Erickson who owened Erickson Aircrane. I have tons of pics during the restoration. He also has a great collecion of warbirds in a museum in Tillamook OR. Several years ago while I was hanging out at his hanger, an older man walked up and asked if there was a BFR-109 there. I said sure and took him over to where it was being stripped to be restored. He looked at me and said, "You know, I have 4000 hours in one of those."

as I was picking my jaw up off the ground, he pointed at Jack,s Mk VIII spitfire, and said "Those gave us a really hard time." True story, honest to God.

Awesome story of the BF 109 pilot. :2thumbs:

Would love to see some of those shots of the restoration. :wink:

So you are down the Rogue Valley. Make it out to the Sports Park back in the '90's?

Small world, you just brought back a whole bunch of memories, Steve Wolf, the GeeBee, Sampson….

While going through A&P school in Eugene late '80's early '90's, we performed our Return-To-Service training at Creswell under the instruction of Nels Noble. This was during the time Steve was finishing up Delmar Benjamins Gee Bee. When the classes would show up at the Creswell hangar, Curly haired Steve allowed us to tour his hangar on occasion…

Steve hired a couple of guys from classes ahead of mine that worked full time on the GeeBee. I was fortunate enough to see it fly out of Creswell air port a few times. I still have that VHS video of the GeeBee’s maiden flight in my VHS stash upstairs. “Can we get some more gas!...

After graduating A&P school, I worked as an Aircraft engine machinist in Aurora at Engine Components Northwest in the mid ‘90’s. Took up an offer to help out on Bill Reesmans MIG 17, the Mig Meteor, before he went to Red Bull, (this was Bills second Mig 17 that he acquired just a year or so prior. The original MIG he flew suffered an in flight explosion/fire that burnt the tail section, issue with the fuel transfer line. That hulk used and may still reside in the museum at Eugene Air Port). Bill also had a YAK a personal business jet and a Piper Cherokee 6 that he flew on occasion. I was driving my L28 powered ’75 Z during this time, Bill would pull up in his ’85 Ferrari 308 when he came out to the hangar to help out. We got talking sports cars as I was admiring his 308, he tossed me the keys and said just don’t wad it up! I was in heaven. Drove the Ferrari 308 into Canby and back, put some 20+ miles on it. Immediately noticed the pedal box was cramped and offset to one side. The 308 was spunky, but no match for a well tuned N/A L-28 and the 308 was sprung/damped relatively soft as well. Didn’t matter, it is a Ferrari! :willy_nil

Any how, Bill is a very nice gentleman. During breaks he would tell us stories of flying the Super Saber against the MIGs, and now was actually flying one!

Here are few shots I took of the MIG during an annual while Bill was flying the Mig Meteor privately under his company banner "Mig Magic". These pics were taken during an annual we performed on the MIG 17. My apologies for the quality, they are pics of pics, (didn’t have a digital camera back then).

Mig apart for inspection and maintenance;

Mig.jpg

Fus.jpg

Epp.jpg

For.jpg

Yours truly working in the cockpit sporting an old then, '80s T-shirt...

Me.jpg

Turbine.jpg

Cockpit.jpg

Bills YAK!

YAK.jpg

Edited by BRAAP