HybridZ

thoughts on front brakes...

I'm going to be installing the AZC 4piston 12.2" wilwood kit for my LS1 powered Z. I think stock brakes are fine for daily driving with only occaisional 1/4mile fun. I upgraded because I want to do some lapping and I felt the stock setup gets mushy pretty quick when driving hard consistantly.

I'm going to be installing the AZC 4piston 12.2" wilwood kit for my LS1 powered Z. I think stock brakes are fine for daily driving with only occaisional 1/4mile fun. I upgraded because I want to do some lapping and I felt the stock setup gets mushy pretty quick when driving hard consistantly.

truely right with stock brakes.....it dosen't stop if you're doing 120+mph, but daily driven is ok...i guest.

I just installed the AZC set front and back. Looks great but I doubt I will ever use them to their full capabilities. More money than sense in my case.

I previously ran the Toyota setup and loved it....used the semi-metalic stock pads and Motul fluid. I ran hard lapping days and only lost them once. Honestly a great set up and huge improvement over stock.

I cant comment whether a big torque V8 would overcome the the Toyota setup but IMHO you cant go wrong for the price.

Unless for the bling just keep the stock brakes. 120 MPH in the quarter doesn't need much brakes to stop. Panic type stocks from 120 like on a road course is another matter but you're not doing that. Although I do have to admit the stock brake feel sucks why spend big $$ for the Wilwoods?

Cameron

If you spend big bucks on brakes, you had better spend big bucks on tires to get the full benefit. I run an excellent street tire, and those tires can only stop my car so fast, bigger brakes will not help.

I run the larger Toyota 4piston on 300zx vented discs, and a 240sx caliper in the rear. I have pushed the car pretty hard on the track with no issues to date. I did the front swap more than 10 years ago, and have been pretty happy with it. I can lock the front wheels, so I suppose I could lock them easier? with a bigger brake/cailper???

I'm not running a track only car, so repeated hard stops are not the norm for my car. I think the term "REPEATED STOPS" is the key to making the right decision on a braking system.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I'm running Silvermine brakes on the front and Modern Motorsorts on the rear. Basically that is Toyota 4piston on 300zx slotted/drilled and vented discs on the front and, and a 240sx caliper with the addition of slotted/drilled rotors on the back. Granted the slotted/drilled thing really isn't necassary for the street but the difference between the stock setuo and this setup is amazing. My car is street driven almost very day with only an occasional 1/4 run.

IMHO yes, for street and the occasional 1/4 mile run. I was very pleased how well my car pulled down on the strip from over 100 mph, straight and quick.

so.....i guest the cheaper vented toy 4 pistons up front and MMS Z31 rotors/ 240 SX calipers should work fine for me then?

that means extra cash for the wife and kids to spend.

so.....i guest the cheaper vented toy 4 pistons up front and MMS Z31 rotors/ 240 SX calipers should work fine for me then?

that means extra cash for the wife and kids to spend.

That's the setup I'm running and I have been very happy with it. But, there is one issue you should know. Even with the prop valve all the way open, the fronts will lock up first if you use the same pad materials front and rear. While that's safer than the opposite, you'd be surprised how much braking performance you're leaving on the table.

With advice from this forum, I went with a pad in the rear with a higher coefficient of friction and now I will lock the rear first with the prop valve all the way open, meaning I can tune with the prop valve to get optimum safe braking. I was quite surprised how much of an improvement in deceleration there was at the limit.

Also, as was said earlier, while you're focusing on the brake hardware, don't forget about the tires. They have a greater impact on stopping distance than the brakes themselves, at least for the first stop.