HybridZ

P90A Hydraulic or solid?

bmarchuk

Ive heard the differences, but which is better?

I hear the hydraulic is better for reliability and wont need to be tuned as often? true?

is this a good head to put on my l28 block (the hydraulic version) if im looking to go for the 250-350 hp range, nothing outrageous like 400+

I also read that its not good for 6k+ rpms, but I barely break 5k normally with my standard l28, am I really going to be doing much over 6 with a turbo head?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Bryan

also, i am only asking because i may be able to get a p90a with hydraulics for very cheap, but i have a standard l28 from a 80 280zx that i am thinking of converting, would it be worth it to swap out the lifters from that engine?

and if i do so, would i have to use the cam from the non turbo head? would that be optimal?

The hydraulic head's cam is designed for those lifters.

If you go solid, make sure you use the cam rocker arms and lash pads, in order they were in on the other head.

You can always give the hydralics a shot, if you don't like it, go solid later.

Search timeserts.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my motor from a wrecking yard. Who knows how many mile are on it. The compression is perfect but i really don't know how good the lifters are. I read a post a while back and a guy popped the little cap off his lifter and cleaned them. I guess he never had any problem afterward. I'm just a little scared to to di because it seems like you cant get them anymore. is this true? I cant find them...

I opened mine and cleaned them but if they are worn, this won't help. If they tick very loudly at start up and occasionaly at idle, they are worn. You can usually just sort of hear which one is ticking and find a decent used one to drop in. I have a bunch of them which are mostly still good. You will know right away when you hear it. It's either good, or ticking really loud.

Thanks for the info. I plan on buying everything to rebuild the head. ( valves, guides, seats,spring set, rocker arm guides, etc..) it really sucks you can't find new lifters. I should just change them with mech.

well my plan is to rebuild the head. as for the block i was going to change the piston rings, main and rod bearings, and a good head gasket. Then install a new timing set, water pump, and oil pump. I think with these thing done a should have a good reliable motor. I really only want around 250 horses. what do you guys have done to yours. oh, how hard is the wiring for swapping the l28et into a 1975 280z. can i just use the stock wiring but change the computer? What about megasquirt? Is that hard to use? I can do almost anything mechanical but wiring is my downfall.

thanks again for all the info....