HybridZ

Some quick Qs about using MS on an L series.

PanzerAce

I'm sure these questions are answered somewhere on the MS site, but unfortunately I don't have the time to read through all of it since I'm in the middle of writing a senior thesis.

The biggest question that I have is how people run MS (or if they even do) with an ITB setup, as there aren't any airflow sensors on the car.

Also, how long does it generally take to get your tune to the point that you can DD it without worry (maybe not the best tune, but one that's good enough)?

Last, how many people here use MS to handle ignition as well as injection?

Thanks guys.

1. MS doesn't use airflow sensors, just an rpm signal and manifold pressure (called speed-density). ITBs are generally no problem, usually you just build a sort of vacuum rail to get a good pressure signal.

2. There are so many maps available here you could first fire the car Sunday afternoon and drive it to school/work Monday morning, assuming you didn't have many mechanical/wiring issues. Even when I first switched mine 2.5 years ago I found one that was completely drivable.

3. Probably over half. 99 percent of the turbo guys for sure (I saw one where he just locked the timing at 20 degrees).

It also uses an Intake Air Temperature(IAT) sensor to calculate the density.

Where would that be mounted on a ITB setup? I'm guessing with a single throttle body you could basically mount it anywhere in the intake tract, but with ITBs there doesn't seem to be much room to do that...

Where would that be mounted on a ITB setup? I'm guessing with a single throttle body you could basically mount it anywhere in the intake tract, but with ITBs there doesn't seem to be much room to do that...

Having individual throttle bodies does not dictate that there is no intake plenum. The stock RB26DETT is a good example and BMW M3.

The IAT sensor doesn't HAVE to be in the intake tract. It's far more accurate somewhere along the intake tract and near the head proably, but the reality is you could mount it in a cool place in the engine bay or somewhere that it can detect ambient air temperatures. It even works well enough with turbocharged, air-to-air intercooled vehicles because the turbo warms up the air and the intercooler tries hard to cool it back close to ambient, though never reaching it.

Your best bet is to drill a hole in one of the ITB's (before the butterfly) and weld on a bung to thread in the IAT. It only needs to be in one of the TB's. What you need to figure out is where to connect your MAP sensor since it reads you manifold pressure. Create a vacuum rail/box that is hooked to all the ITB's after the throttle and run your MAP off the rail/box. Search for pictures of people's ITB setups and try and get a feel of how they set it up.

Actually, with the speed density system that MS uses, with ITB's, you actually need to manufacture a plenum and plumb it to each runner between the ITB's and head. This will serve to provide a source for vacuum for brakes and MAP sensor, and eliminate as much pulsing as possible. This plenum needs to be a certain size (depending upon things like runner length and diameter) and there are guidelines/formulas for calculating it - nothing wrong with being a bit larger than necessary either!