HybridZ

Any pix of a chromed 280z intake???

dhp123166

EDIT... ^^^ Indeed... polished aluminum is much easier than chroming.

Did you check that thread first? It doesn't help him at all. :D

Here's one I know of off the top of my head (yes... 4bbl intake... but you get the idea).

http://www.arizonazcar.com/manifold.html

4b1c.jpg

Why can't it be done to intake manifolds?

If the rod is not the same shade big deal, that's not really part of the casted intake anyway...I can't paint it because then it does not fit in the guides. I already tried that.

Painting an intake manifold is almost but not quite, powdercoating is a little better.

It's gotta be chrome and it can be done.

While I'm at it, I'll do my extra fuel line too...

Wait, are we talking about a chromed intake as in "chrome plated", or chromed as in "looks like chrome because the aluminum is so polished"?

If it's the former, then the chrome plating would cover up any color differences from welding up unnecessary holes. Never really heard of anyone chrome plating aluminum though. Perhaps a chrome-like ceramic coating though, that would look nice and be somewhat functional.

If we're talking about the latter, a highly polished aluminum surface, then Challenger has a point.

Guides= the cast holes on the manifold which the rod sips into.

There's probably another name for it.

On another note, how much would you charge for a shaved N42 non-EGR manifold which is ready for finishing? This would include a core trade in on my part of the same manifold (once I took it off my car).

Thanks...

dhp... I guess you can still read this even though you're on a 7 day vacation.

You could have your intake shaved and JET HOT coated like your header. This would look nice and also provide additional heat protection when you remove your intake manifold heat shield.

Earlier you said "It's gotta be chrome and it can be done". Well, you're right. If it HAS to be chrome it can be done. People chrome plate aluminum motorcycle wheels all the time. It has more bling and requires less maintenance than polished aluminum (it also makes the wheel heavier and possibly more brittle... but that's not usually important to the bling crowd). To chrome plate alumuminum they will have to copper plate, nickel plate, and finally chrome plate the metal. Any welding done to fill in holes would probably be well hidden by this process.

So are you wanting the intake shaved and then polished or just polished. If you didnt want it shaved it would be easy to polish. Actually an n47 egr intake would be the best for this. You can shave off most of the bungs and there will be no holes to fill therefore no different colored aluminum spots. You can then just file it, sand it and then polish it. Take your time and get everything level and youll be good.

I think I am gonna shave my intake (when it gets here) and take it to this shop called Xtreme Performance Heat Coatings where they will polish it and finish it with a clear ceramic coating, all for $200.00.

They can also tint the coating so that it looks anodized; red, black, blue etc.

I am leaning towards red at this point.

It's really going to look hot...

Edited by dhp123166
spelling

I was looking at polishing mine but it is ALOT of trouble. It isnt easy! Takes Weeks!

I think the hardest part is getting the sand casting texture off the runners and next to the injector bosses. Even with a roll of 1" wide sandpaper, it can get monotonous. :wink:

I found out that wetsanding the plenum removes the final scratches pretty well.

I can't wait to see you guys' finished product!!

Here's a few pics of mine: http://forums.hybridz.org/showpost.php?p=826764&postcount=10

I have ~7 fittings on the bottom. :lol:

attachment.php?attachmentid=4343&d=1195885092