HybridZ

Started my mold

MastersMechanic

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

I apologize for not keeping up with the build I have rebuilt the front many times because of flaws and now I am finally fiberglassing. This project is way more work then I thought it was going to be almost gave up many times and went back to the original z front end, but luckily I threw It all away( to keep me from going back). with the work it has taken and how hard it is for me to work with this fast drying resin I decided to just build a over lay piece. The piece I pull off will actually be the front end. The only bad thing is I won't be making anymore so I can't break this one. I just bought 12 new paint brushes and 24 cups for resin, and an airplane building manufacture gave me 20 rolls of fiberglass in different thicknesses I only have 4 rolls left with all my friends who wanted some. now if I could only find cheaper resin (50 bucks a gallon) I have used two so far with only 1 1/2 layers(lots of 1/2 to 3/4 filled cups of dry resin Ugh! ) need two put a couple more layers on to be strong enough to hold form. I started a new project on the z ( big blocks fit in a z better then the small block, but still looks small :wink:).

Mastersmechanic, you already know an overlay part won't fit...why half-ass the job? Go ahead and make the mold, then pull the part. You will forever regret not making the mold and doing it correctly once it's done, if you just fibreglass up an overlay.

For squeezing out the excess resin they make rollers with grooves in them that work wonders. Too much resin and it's just heavy, but not very strong. It's not always possible, but I like working on big projects like this during the winter. I get the garage cold (50 degrees or colder) and then lay up all the fiberglass and resin at once. The temps will keep it from setting up. Then kick on a couple of diesel forced air heaters...bake at around 110 degrees for a little while and your done. You can spend an hour getting all the glass just like you want without it setting up. For a complete fiberglass one piece front end...its the only way to do it (at least for me). As for using the skin and not going all the way. You will regret it. I know others have said this already, but it will never look right and honestly won't be what you want in the end. Not to mention all the smoothing you'll end up doing on the finished product is fairly time consuming as well.

I can't believe 3 applications of wax wasn't enough, I pulled the fiberglass off after 2 layers of light weight cloth and 2 of heavy cloth, the paint and the foam came off with it. a scraper and a screwdriver and a hour later I got it all off except for some paint. I know you guys don't want me to use it as a skin but I think that is the way I am going to have to go as I don't think I can get the Inside as clean as I need to use it as a mold. I hope it turns out, lots of work left. Thanks for the support It is what has kept me going this long. Josh

I can't believe 3 applications of wax wasn't enough, I pulled the fiberglass off after 2 layers of light weight cloth and 2 of heavy cloth, the paint and the foam came off with it. a scraper and a screwdriver and a hour later I got it all off except for some paint. I know you guys don't want me to use it as a skin but I think that is the way I am going to have to go as I don't think I can get the Inside as clean as I need to use it as a mold. I hope it turns out, lots of work left. Thanks for the support It is what has kept me going this long. Josh

Next time, try using mold release. My local O'Reilly Auto parts keeps it in stock. They are a full line body shop/paint supply store also. It just sprays on, let it flash off, and then lay your glass on top of the thin film...it works great and no need for multiple layers of wax.

definitely needed to talk to you before I started this project. lots of learning curve. thanks

Sadly, I learned the same way you did. My first project was a one piece front end for a buddies car. I've worked with fiberglass for years repairing large trucks, but never really made a part before. I thought to myself, it can't be that hard. I did some reading about terry's (blueoval) car. Sounded simple. The only part I did right the first time was the mold release. We skimped because he didn't have the money to make a mold and produce the part so we did a skin like you're talking about. I believe he said "It's a race car...who cares...hopefully I'll be going too fast for anyone to see it." Well, the thing weighs a ton. By the time we got everything smooth enough to look presentable, we didn't save any weight, but we did manage to fit his slicks under the front end which is what the main goal was. All that work, and we've decided that as soon as we can, we're going to build a different one, and do it right!

DSCN2216A.JPG

DSCN2225A.JPG

DSCN2245A.JPG

That's my buddy in the last picture...possibly a little high from all the fumes...lol

Mastersmechanic, I am impressed that you had the 'stones' to undertake this. I have been in the automotive restyling business for many years and have made all kind of molds - using fiberglass, epoxy and modern RTV silicons. To take on such an extensive project with little or no experience has to be commended - if your going to try something, then go big! I like that.

There are all number of mold releases and waxes available to the tooling industry, but I think in your situation had you first applied a coating of PVA - polyvinyl alcohol(Partall Film #10) and then used a few coats of mold release, your mold would have come away clean.

PVA is widely available and your fiberglass material supplier probably carries it as well. It came be sprayed on or even brushed on, and when dry creates a thin protective film over the surface you are trying to mold. It is not effected by polyester resin and when you demold, the film washes away with water.

I know this is too late for you Mastersmechanic, but for anyone else thinking of doing a similar thing consider using PVA first, especially if its your first go.

Steve.

• 1 month later...

I LOVE this thread, however I would love to know how you have the hood set up. Is it a pin on type latch or are you using reverse hinges?

The front end of my car is tore up some and thinking about doing something drastic like this as well. Pics would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update I just finished the mounts for the 454 and 2004r. The driveshaft is going to the shop tomorrow. flares should be here this week. I'm playing with the head lights and the grill to see what I want to do any suggestions would be great or photochops. The fuel tank is in. I Reinforced the fiberglass with stainless and have tons of work left.

The hood will most likely be pinned for now(that reminds me I need to start working on the hood. UGH

post-510-078070700 1282523906_thumb.jpg

post-510-097989900 1282524021_thumb.jpg

post-510-006856400 1282524065_thumb.jpg

I really like how this is turning out! Any chance you'd want to hop over to Kitsap county to make one for my S130? Lmao. Seriously, though, it looks great! I'd love to drop by and see it when it's done. It looks close to what I've wanted my front end to look like for a while now. I wouldn't want to steal your ideas, just do something similar.