HybridZ

R200 torque specs????

Big Kahuna

Guest Anonymous

Big K you are getting this from a fellow with number dyslexia from a 1978 Service manual for a R 200 differential: drive pinion nut : 137-159....ring gear bolt (using locktite): 43 to 51.... Side bearing cap bolt:65-72.... rear cover fixing bolt 12-17.....rearcover to rear mounting member lock nut: 54 to 69....Differential carrier to front mounting insulator fixing bolt: 43 to 58..... companion flange to propellar shaft fixing bolt: 25 to 33..... Side flange to drive shft :36-43..... Filler and drain plug 30 to 50 (ft/lbs)

hey thats totally true, at least as far as i have experienced. the two head honcho types at the shop are like that but only when it comes to cars

ex:

"i took all the eldebrock off that car to make it look bone stock"

"at OME configuration, it wont boost higher than 7psi then the fuel cuts"

"i bought that integra gxr for 3500 and sold it for 6500 the next day."

i dont know if thats dyslexia, but i know its funnier as heck, and i respect these guys' expertise so much i dont correct them.

The 43 to 51 ft-lbs mentioned for the ring gear bolts is only applicable for the 10mm diameter ring gear bolts.

If you have a diff with the 12mm diameter ring gear bolts (found on all the R200 turbo diffs and the LSD diffs)then the tightening torque is 98 to 112 ft-lbs. A considerable difference.

• 10 years later...

If you have a diff with the 12mm diameter ring gear bolts (found on all the R200 turbo diffs and the LSD diffs)then the tightening torque is 98 to 112 ft-lbs. A considerable difference.

Old thread I know...

R200's did not get 12mm ring gear bolts till 85. Turbo or not.

Not in 81 when Turbo's began in the 280zx.

This 83 280zxT diff im working on has the 10mm bolts in it.

Just wanted to straighten that out to anyone else coming across this looking for torque specs like me.