HybridZ

My RB-Z project aka GodZilla

Here are the first pics of my 76 280Z after 6 months of it sitting at my work, finally got it over to the shop the other day. Car came from Cali so there is almost no rust anywhere, especially on the underside. There are spots on the bottoms of the doors that someone fixed with bondo but besides that, its a good starting point.

DSC00819.jpg

DSC00820.jpg

DSC00821.jpg

DSC00822.jpg

Plans are as follows:

Built RB26 w/ TH400

Apexi PFC D-Jetro or AEM EMS

Custom fuel system

Custom FMIC

Custom length driveshaft

LSD for the R200 rear

A few exterior pieces (rims, fender flares, air dam etc)

Not sure what I want to do turbo wise yet but I'd like to make around 650whp so probably a 40R or something similar. If something larger is available for a good price, I'll probably go with that over a smaller turbo. I've seen afew T04Rs and HKS T51Rs for sale at good prices and they're good for 900+. Whatever it takes to make over 600 I'm happy because that power in a light RWD setup will be a handfull as is. I'm sure things will change once I get everything going so who knows what might end up in there in the end, we'll see. I hope to order the engine next week, so stay tuned :icon6:

• 1 month later...

UPDATE 4/20

Just unloaded the 26 off the truck alittle while ago and here she is :)

DSC00956.jpg

DSC00957.jpg

So far this project has started off great because after taking off the pallet wrap, I found that it already has a PowerFC on it, along with tubular O2 housings and maybe aftermarket turbos. Once I get an engine stand, I'll take off the pan and see if my luck can continue with an already built bottom end. There is RTV around the pan and the head has a metal headgasket so at least the engine was apart at one time, whether thats good or bad I'll find out. Stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

If the car was going to be more street then strip then I probably would have just gone w/ a 25 mated to the stock 5spd. I wanted this to be more of a strip then street car, so thats why I wanted to go auto. Plus having a manual valvebody will be like having a 5spd except no stupid clutch to worry about :)

5/2 UPDATE

Got the turbo side of the engine stripped today. What a fun job that was :( I'd hate to work on these all the time w/ the twins to work around, not fun lol. Turbos look to be a great shape. Not shaft play or cracked housings, should be able to resell them. Checked the bearings last night and they looked pretty nice. No major wear that I could see. Once I get the head off I'll see what the cylinders look like. Here are acouple pics I took:

Stripped

DSC00968.jpg

Extra bits

DSC00969.jpg

JDM y0!

DSC00970.jpg

Gotta love the oil pan/front diff marriage here, interesting design

DSC00971.jpg

• 5 months later...

I'll probably be having a friend of mine that does fab make one from scratch from alum, not sure though yet. I have both the stock and 25 pans here he can use to make something up.

The bumper is basically molded into the front of the car, thats how it came. So i'm not sure what bumper it started out as lol.