HybridZ

Flares or not?

280z4me2

Ive been thinking of molding in some zg flares. Whats the widest tire you can fit on the rear of an S30 without flares?

I have had 4 different types of 275/40-17's on my car and the widest were Kumho V710's and they fit but just barely, and YES I did have to roll the inner rear fender lip. Right now I have Mickey Thomson street E/T's and they are a little taller, Maybe they are 45's but they stick so awesome I cant go back to a tire that fits better.

Im going to move them inboard so I can continue to lower the rear, it looks a bit high since the tire is too tall and the section width changed. MAN TO THEY HOOK UP!!! Even at 22 PSI I can use all of second gear.

BTW I am running the AZC 5 lug rear conversion along with the AZC coil overs and AZC LCA's. The wheels are 17x9x35mm offset and you will probably need some sort of camber plates to move the top of the wheel around too. I made custom ones so I could retain the stock interior.

In order of widest to narrowest tires (all were 275/40-17's) also included is how sticky they were/are.

Kumho V710's (Treadwear rating 30)

Mickey Tompson Street E/T's (Treadwear rating 0)

Kumho V70a's (aka ECASTA V700's) (Treadwear rating 50)

Nitto 555 Drag Radial's (Treadwear rating 100)

The Treadwear ratings were represenative, zero being the stickiest and 100 being the least sticky.

You could maybe try to get a Reaction Research Subtle Z front bumper to work. They have that little side molding piece like the custom bumper above, which would give you a good start to work with but probably still require some modification to fit snug to a ZG flare.

subtlez-front1.jpg