HybridZ

rear wheel berrings

tomtuna1978

hay guys ... ive done a search and cant find anny thing ... where can i fing some good prices on rear wheel berrings ? and are they pressed on ... do i halfto use a press to replace them ? is there annything i should know for doing them? ive got a 73 240 and its my first z car ... these cars are aussome!!! annyways anny help would be greatly apricated ... thanks

www.rockauto.com has rear wheel bearings for a '73 240Z for $23.79 rear inner & $25.99 rear outer. Timken part #'s RW116 & RW117 respectively, you'll need to get 2 of each.

Black Dragon sells rear wheel bearing "kits" for $49.95 of which you'll need 2 (one for each side) and their kit includes the oil seal. http://www.blackdragonauto.com/ICATALOG/Z/full.aspx?Page=97

Probably the biggest PITA you'll have to deal with to replace the rear wheel bearings is getting the companion flange off to remove the wheel hub as its on there with about 250 lb/ft.

You need to make sure you are spelling things correctly before you search. It's bearings, not berrings.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=131138&highlight=wheel+bearings+rear

Good luck with the install, you will need a couple of special tools and owning a FSM [Factory Service Manual] would really benefit you at this point.

I don't know if there are cheap rear wheel bearings available, but I'd buy Koyo (if you buy Timken you get Koyo) for those since they're such a bitch to change out. Make sure you read up on how to grind off the peened area of the stub axle nut before you start in on that project.

Take your strut assembly to a tire shop and have them remove your stub axle nut with an impact gun. It'll take them less than 5 mins to do it for you ;)

About grinding the peened area of the nut, I used a Dremel tool with a reinforced disk to grind the metal down close to the stub axle, the impact gun took care of the rest.

Take your strut assembly to a tire shop and have them remove your stub axle nut with an impact gun. It'll take them less than 5 mins to do it for you ;)

About grinding the peened area of the nut, I used a Dremel tool with a reinforced disk to grind the metal down close to the stub axle, the impact gun took care of the rest.

DO THE GRINDING OF THE PEENED AREA OF THE NUT BEFORE YOU HIT THE NUT WITH THE IMPACT!!! That was my point. It's a mistake I've made myself, and it leaves you with hours of thread filing work or buying replacement stub axles.

DO THE GRINDING OF THE PEENED AREA OF THE NUT BEFORE YOU HIT THE NUT WITH THE IMPACT!!! That was my point. It's a mistake I've made myself, and it leaves you with hours of thread filing work or buying replacement stub axles.

YES, please grind them FIRST, lol...

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the help guys ... we put the new berings from black draggon( they were beckarnley berrings by the way) in today, and they were ausome, fit like a glove, the only thing that hung us up was the outer berrings had to be pressed on and off, wich we just took em to pep boys and they did it for 20$, the hole kitten kabootle only took us like 2 hours in my garrage. thanks again for all the help and suggestions!!!!!