HybridZ

Water Temp Sender

well i tried searching but couldnt find what i need.

im almost done with my 260Z ls1 swap and im trying to install the datsun coolant temp sensor but i cant find adapters to make it fit.

any suggestions?

i pulled the plug out of the passenger head, but none of the hardware stores can figure out what type of thread it is.

it seems like its almost a 1/4 NPT

please help me get this thing on the road

• Administrators

On/in the GM LSx engines, ALL threads, are metric. You will not find any SAE pipe threads on the LSx. In fact, I don't think there are any metric tapered pipe threads either. At any rate, the the plug/CLT temp sensors in the LSx heads are not a tapered pipe thread, just a straight metric thread.

I just took a quick look at my LSx head plug and stock Datsun water temp sender for the gauge. (I don't have my LSx heads handy) Fortunately the Datsun water temp sender is larger diamter so you should be able to drill and tap the head for the datsun sender. Unfortunately, I don't recall what the threads are for the Datsun sender, other than it is metric and possibly tapered pipe? (Mine was still installed in a Thermostat housing. I think the JTR manual might callout the threads, I'd have to go out and dig that up to be sure). Also, the Datsun gauge sender is a little longer/deeper so be sure there is ample room in the head for the sender in that location, i.e. it doesn't crash into the chamber/port wall etc.

the first pic was the day it rolled into my backyard but it still looks the same

been trolling around the forum for a little while now, thanks for all the help.

also big thanks to bigdeezs on here. he decoded all the wiring for me

donor

IMG_5955.jpg

east side of hollywood, the car is from santa rosa.

another question for you guys. with the stock temp gauge hooked up where does your needle sit? mine is pretty high. probly 3/4 of the ways up. not in the red but up there.

thanks

I used the adapter from JCI that replaces the "freeze" plug in the drivers side head. Seems to work just fine.

Mike

I remember reading in one of the many LS1 Swap Guides floating around that someone had trouble with that adapter bumping into the JTR headers. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work?

east side of hollywood, the car is from santa rosa.

another question for you guys. with the stock temp gauge hooked up where does your needle sit? mine is pretty high. probly 3/4 of the ways up. not in the red but up there.

thanks

I used the John's adapter that goes into the block on the drivers side. There is a huge plug threaded in that you replace with a special adapter and Datsun sender. You could easily drill and tap the stock plug though. It runs in the first leg of the 'M' on the gauge - just over half way. On track it creeps up higher to the 'P'. Since I dont know where TEMP is in degrees I just added an Autometer gauge. Have not run the car yet but it's sender goes into the unused port on the passenger head. Internet search will easily find sender to LS adapter. I've read that the heads are not consistent due to flow path of the water so it will be interesting to see what the head temp tells me. I'm running JTR headers and they clear fine.

Cameron