HybridZ

Help me with engine decision and info

AkumaNoZeta

Ok, I eliminated my "out-there" plans for the car and just keeping with what I really want. A nothing too extravegant daily driver. I have limited my engine choices to 3 engines (but still open to more choices when I hear about something good):

1. Nissan CA18DET

2. Nissan SR20DET

3. Mazda 13B RENESIS

4. Mazda 13B single turbo from FC

It should be appearent that I was a small, lightweight engine. The type of info I want is accurate engine with transmission wieghts including accessories, or without if they're all without for comparison. I also want to know the general MPG for the different engines in stock trim. I can find the SR20 and CA18 weights fairly easily but its super hard to find in Wankel weights. As the Rotaries go, I know the RENESIS would be lighter than the turboed one because it doesnt have the turbo, intercooler, and piping but does the turboed one have enough potential to make up for the wieght? Lets put it this way with the Mazda ones. If the non-turbo weighs 50 pounds less I would go with it, but if the turbo one can get to 350-400 horsepower without that much complication than I think that would make up for the extra 50 lbs. Pretty much I just want the accurate engine/transmission weights and mpg (since its for daily driving) to have for comparison's sake. Dont even think about the availability of each engine (RENESIS mainly) because its not gonna be anything too soon. By the time I get to it the RX8 engine may actually be easy to find

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Grim,

I didn't find the weights you need, but it sounds that the turbo Wankel will deliver the power weight and mpg your looking for. Not to mention how easy they are to find.

350-400 hp is also somthing that can be eclipsed without much dificulty using a turbo Wankel and skyhigh rpm to boot.

I thought the older turbo rotaries were horrible on gas, got like 17 mpg. If I could get 30 mpg with the Nissan engines I rather do that, its an attractive quality. How come it seems like absolutely no one has taken the time to weigh the 13Bs while there's tons of sources for the weight of other engines? I know the Mazda guys are over-exagerating how light it is, but there's no factual figures to prove any of it. Sounds like a conspiracy, maybe Mazda deletes any info about its weight just like the government does with aliens...sorry, I've been up all night and now its 11:30am. My imagination is run-a-muk right now.

Like I said, buy my rotary setup. You get everything - stand alone ECU, all mounts fabbed up, all IC piping fabbed up, coils, plug wires, etc. :) Everything ready to go in a Z. Even the exhaust.

Just figure out shipping a fair price :) I'll even throw in a spare turbo 2 transmission

Sweet project auxilary, your so close to finishing it just go for it.

Hey Grim, did you notice how set back auxilary has that engine set back. Even if that motor is heavier than it looks imagine the weight distrabution.

I know you woldn't consider a v8 but a stock ls1 with six speed is all aluminum can be had with 300 to 400 hp and gets up to 30 mpg. just a thoght.

If you're that concerned with weight, I'd go with a VG30E or VG30ET swap. Those are tiny little engines that even with iron blocks weigh in under 400 pounds (less than many 4 cylinders).

Paul has the weight of the engine alone in the definitive weight thread.

The VG30E can make about 200 NA Flywheel HP on a budget, and the turbo version can make well over 300 on with very few mods.

Heres another weight thread on here http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=97320&highlight=complete+engine+weights On there is states the CA18DET with trans is 389 lbs and on here http://wiki.datsun1200.com/index.php/Engine_Swaps is says the CA18DET is 282 lbs without transmission. Now on the first sight I linked is said the VG30DETT weighs 469 lbs without transmission and I dont see the E or ET version being 200lbs lighter

In my opinion, the sr20det is the most viable option. It is fairly light but more important the parts/aftermarket parts are more readily available. In all honesty, the CA18DET should weigh just about the same as the sr20det. The CA is an iron block, aluminum head combonation while the sr20det is aluminum block, aluminum head.

I know it doesn't seem to make sense but after you think about it, it starts to be feasible. Iron is stronger than aluminum meaning their has to be extra aluminum in the block to make it as strong as it would be if it were iron. And the CA head is a lot smaller than the SR head if you compare them. Not to mention the CA can just be overall smaller too.

Heres another weight thread on here http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=97320&highlight=complete+engine+weights On there is states the CA18DET with trans is 389 lbs and on here http://wiki.datsun1200.com/index.php/Engine_Swaps is says the CA18DET is 282 lbs without transmission. Now on the first sight I linked is said the VG30DETT weighs 469 lbs without transmission and I dont see the E or ET version being 200lbs lighter

I seriously doubt the CA really weighs 282 in full longblock trim. Most 4 cylinders regardless of iron block vs aluminum block, SOHC vs DOHC setup fall between 325 and 400 pounds.

The VG30E has been verified by a couple people to weigh in under 400 pounds in running trim, and is an insanely compact engine, and it has a sturdy iron block with internals that can take 300+ boosted HP without complaining with stock internals. They're dime o' dozen too. That was my initial point.

The SR doesn't make much sense to me imo. In fact, pretty much all imported engines don't make much sense to me other than wow factor (which I can respect). If you're going for practicality go with something you can find parts for left and right and is easy to work on.

The CA is extremely rare in the US compared to a multitude of engines, and the US never got any good SR engines. They're both out of the game for engine swaps for me personally. If I really wanted a 4 cylinder I'd go with a toyota engine, or the KA24DE with a budget turbo conversion. Those things have shown to be quite the workhorse.

Oh, and for the record, these are some of the only engine weights I'd stake money on: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125246

There's been many discussions on this site on weight methods and how nobody online seems to care to mention what was ON THE ENGINE when they give you the weight..... Completely useless.

Go the 13B! - Mate has one in his S2 RX7 - makes 440rwkw - WTF! amazing little engines and so easy to rebuild!

Also, a fellow on Hybridz did a conversion with lots of pictures, which made it look reasonably straight forward!

Only issue is the 13B uses the fuel of a 440 big block with a 6-pack :-)!

there are only 2 rotary Z cars on HBZ: one is mine, which isn't running (probably never will) and Owen's, who finished his NA carb'd motor a while back and had the car running. I don't know what happened to it since. He had it at one of the shows, maybe if I'm lucky, he'll have it at MSA this year

put a s20det in. keep it in the family. sr20's can do 500whp on the stock block no problem. thats plenty of power and if you can keep your foot out of it for the majority of driving you can get well above 20mpg.

i own sr20det in a nx and i must say when it comes to four cyclinders it shines above alot of newer inline 4's.

stratton.