HybridZ

Can you belive this?

RB26powered74zcar

Guest greimann

That is actually parts of a bearing cage, not the race. The cage keeps the rolling elements properly spaced apart. While not a catastrophic failure, it might eventually lead to a bearing failure.

Joel,

The picture doesn't show. But if it is a bearing cage as Greimann says, then you need to go easy on that transmission. I can only guess as to the HP you are making. The cage keeps the ball bearings spaced. Without it, it is possible for them to all find their way over to one side. The center of the carrier can then move towards the side without as many ball bearings. Not good when giving it lots of power... I didn't see the pic, but you may still have enough of the cage there to prevent damage for a while.

Sam

I had the same thing happen on my stock 79zx 5 speed. That was 10 years and 150,000 miles ago. It's still running and shifting perfectly. It does not seem as if make much difference as you've also seen...

same same on my 5 speed :mad: - it was the center (thrust) bearing cage that went out, and that means that now your entire gear train is suspended by the front and rear case bearings....with the additional side loads being placed on them via torque and shifting, they will disintergrate as well. :eek:

They are a bitch to replace - you need a bearing press, spoons, plates, etc.... may as well freshen up the whole dog while you are in there.