HybridZ

Shipping a T56... Some answers and a question...

Mikelly

Guys, I know a lot of you have passed up deal on stuff due to shipping... I took my dimensions and weight of the T56 and plugged them into FEDEX's website and came up with approximately $58 from Viringia to Minisota, so don't get shy'ed off by that when you see a deal.. Next step is boxing this thing up... Anyone have any recommendations on boxing up a tranny?

Mike

I built a crate from scratch for a T5 I shipped. built it mostly from 1" x2", you wanna make sure you box it in so it wont slosh around at all. I had to box it completely in cause i was shipping it ups. You might also be able to just strap it to a pallet using plummers tape. depends on fedex and their shipping regs.

Thure

I think most shipping places are pretty strict about draining all of the fluids too.

On a related note, I had a radial arm saw shipped from the midwest. The only people who would ship anything "electrical" was Airborne Express. That thing cost $85 in shipping about 5 years ago. Hard to believe it weighed anything close to a T56 with the clutch assembly.

i got my 200-4r a few months ago in a similar manner: steel banded to a small pallet. it was around $75 for the shipping from a similar shipping company as listed above. i just had to be at home when they delivered it. it was sort of interesting watching the dude turn his semi around in the cul de sac at the end of my street.

Mike,

SHHHH don't tell any one.Now I won't be able to buy your car piece by piece as you upgrade.

A friend at work suggested bolting a piece of plywood across the front of the trans as protection for the bolt flanges. Tom

P.S. Mike I made it to the post office today.You should see the check by thurs at the latest.

DON'T rely on cardboard, I don't care how many layers to handle the trans. The input shaft will stab through many layers (ask me how I know).

I'd either make a small pallet and bolt it to it,

or build a crate that has internal stuff to keep it from moving around.

You should see the beautiful little coffin that Scottie-GNZ made to ship an R200 to me - very nice.

We use the one from scribner plastics--what's really nice about it is that you bolt the tranny to the box, and also it has bulkhead-like retaining plates. The downside is that they are expensive ($100) but you can reuse them many times and they are very light weight (which compensates a bit on the shipping costs). Other than this unit, the custom built ones I have used never seem to last more than a trip or two to the repair shop. I know they fit Ford & Chevy trannys like a glove, but I am not sure 'bout others.

scribner plastics