HybridZ

Silly question about stripping/painting hard to reach spots

auxilary

I'm going to borrow dsommer's freshly posted pictures from the fabrication forum to illustrate my point:

100_5943.jpg

So the front lower radiator support is gusseted/vented/however you wish to call it. What's the best way of cleaning/stripping inside without media blasting? Even if media blasting is used, what's the best method of getting stuff out? How does one go about properly painting/sealing the insides to prevent future rust/corrosion?

Media Blasting is the only way to be sure you get everything and not leave anything chemical in there. Compressed air will get out most if not all of the media.

I would coat the inside of the support with Zero Rust, but others will probably chime in and say to use POR-15...

ok, how do i paint hte back slotted sections where I just stuck the sandpaper on a stick? :)

rag dipped in paint? hehe

Get yourself a shutz gun or a cheap equivelent. Most of them are easy to adapt a length of tubing/hose onto the nozzle for reaching into hard to access areas. I had (key word "had" as in can't find it) an old brass lawn sprinkler tip fitted to a tube and shutz gun that I would crank the pressure up to about 60 psi. It works well, with whatever you choose to put in the gun. Just find a good place to keep it, for the next time you need it.:(

I tried to use the Eastwood spray gun for the inside of frame rails and spray Zero Rust through it, but it was a complete failure. My solution is going to be to paint everything I can see, and what I can't see (inside frame rails, etc) will get oiled. In Canada they have a service called Krown where they drill holes in all the panels and spray oil in there and they swear by it. I haven't determined what oil to use. So far I'm thinking Kroil because it's the oil that creeps or something like Wurth's HHS2000 because it turns into a light grease and would be less likely to drip all over everything. In researching this I heard of people using used motor oil and WD-40, so I think just about anything works. It's not a dumb question though, and you'll see it brought up a lot when people start talking about dipping a shell to take all the old paint off.

http://www.krown.com/#default

The only way to get all the rust out from the inside of places like the inside of frame rails is to chemically dip the body . Redi Strip is one name that comes to mind . Not a cheap or inexpensive process . Then comes the trick of drying out the car . There are special wands and spray equipment , that is used in the repair of late model cars when replacing unibodyrails, that then can be used to spray an epoxy zinc primer /sealer into the boxed areas. This then can be follwed up with rustproofing material like 3M #8892 . Dont spray this until everything has been final painted.