HybridZ

Opinion: rebuild L6 N/A or V8 conversion?

SoCalJack

I have an 81 280ZX in need of a rebuild.

I am trying to decide the best course of action for the money. I dont want to just fix what is broken and half-ass this only to have it break down in a year. Eventually I would like it to be a daily driver, Im thinking two years.

It doesnt have to be the biggest and baddest car on the road, but I would like to have some power under the hood.

Time isnt really a concern, I have a reliable car for transportation and a motorcycle for some fun. This is my new project

Money will be the deciding factor (like always :( ). Im just a poor college girl. Im thinking about $3000ish....

What do you guys think? Any thoughts?

hmmm.... I was hoping at least one person would vote V8, thats kind of what I am leaning towards.

I have found a couple of used sbc's and trannys on ebay/ craigslist for pretty cheap. But Im having a hard time finding a L28ET.

Plus I would really like to go to carbs instead of EFI. I can actually work on carbs.

Anyone talk me into (or out of) this....?

**edit: I am thinking with all the money I put into rebuilding the L6 I could have a V8. And a turbo just seems too complicated for me....

I am doing a turbo swap this summer but have always wanted a V8 in my S30.

I am going to say you *might* be able do the swap for $2000 if you did everything yourself and found a really cheap V8 and tranny set up. The only problem with that is the V8 could be in as good a shape as your current L6.

I would go ahead and buy the JTR book, it will give you a much clearer view of what you would have to do fabrication wise, and who knows it could let you make a better more educated decision on it.

I say do a V8, you can build a pretty mean SBC for under $1000 if you do some bargain hunting. The expensive part is the fab work (if you can't do it yourself) to put in V8 motor mounts, and making the driveline work. I honestly think a carbuerated V8 swap could be done for under $3000, no expensive EFI stuff to mess with, lol.

Probably out of the realm of possibility here... but a VH45 with 8 streetbike carbs would be neat, but a PITA to tune.

Edit: I'm pretty dang sure a SBC swap kit for a S30 would work for a 280ZX (please correct me if I'm wrong). Seems to be a few of these floating around all the time.

Thanks for the input guys. Ive been researching and asking lots of questions. So I am coming up with some what of a game plan.

Luckily I got my job back at the motorcycle shop, and I asked one of the techs about a motor. Hes got 3 350 sbc's sitting in his garage! Sweet. So he is going to be helping me out. Hes a chevy man, but had a 77(I think) 280Z back in the day.

Needless to say I am very excited. Thanks again for your input. Ill be starting a member project thread soon...

Decisions, decisions! I shoot myself in the foot everyday. There was a complete turbo motor in the local pull-a-part that i should have grabbed! It is particularly difficult to find turbo motors around here.

Did you ever get ahold of Rogger at the zbarn?

goodluck on the swap since it seems that you have already made your mind up! I look forward to the project thread.

No I havent tried Zbarn again. I dont really need any Z parts yet. The interior is in pretty good shape, and since Im swapping motors/trannys I really dont need any of those parts either.

If I can find time between two jobs and school Im going to get that motor and tranny out, so if anyone wants anything from a stock 81 280ZX NA shoot me a PM. When I actually get the stuff out I will post a classified too.